Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2012 Versys 650 I just bought and it is in need of some new shoes. I will be riding in Colorado for the better part of 3 seasons rain or shine. I'm new to the bike and new to the street but have been riding dirt for a couple years. This bike will be nearly 100% street with a very rare fire road. I've read that it's hard to beat the Michelin road series but I was hoping not to spend that much. Anything close as far as performance/longevity goes for less? I ride and like Kenda tires on dirt but they don't seem to have anything for this bike.

I'm open to any and all suggestions so long as they are primarily a street tire.

Cheers,
Andrew
My riding style on my '15 is a bit "spirited". I'm on my 14th rear tire with 72k miles. Inflation pressures just 2-4 lbs over factory specifications. I bought the bike used with totally worn out factory tires on it. The previous owner went to the dealer for new tires and left with a new Trans Alp.

Some folks get more mileage by over inflating. JMHO, but I don't like giving up some safety to make a tire last a bit longer as I tend to use all of the tire.

I've had three Shinko rears, average life 3500 miles. Better for dirt than actual road tires, not overly inspiring for road use. After Shinkos I went to Pirelli Angel GT. There is no going back to the Shinkos after install a real sport touring tire. I've tried the Angels, Dunlop RS3, 023 and T-31 Evo Bridgestones. The RS3 and Angels lasted 5500 to 6000 miles, the T-31 about 4500. I buy the T-31 now as they run about $105 in rebate season.

The t-31, Angel, and RS3 all handle and ride quite well. A lot smoother ride than the Shinkos. The difference is quite noticeable.

Keep in mind my riding style is quite aggressive and I ride it mostly in the twistys, hence lower mileages than most. But the above info can give you an idea of wear ranges.

I've not tried any Michelins on the bike. I tried PR3s on a previous bike and was quite dissatisfied with the cupping on them as they aged. I've not tried the PR4 or 5. The road tires listed above all gave excellent handling right to the end.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I never followed up on this thread, but I ended up with the Dunlop Road Smart 3 front and rear. I got pretty good deal on them since the 4 had just been released. I have been happy with them so far and have not had any issues. As I progress as a rider they are still holding well. I have managed to use the entire tire and they felt confident all the way trough.
I've run the the heck out of few sets of these. They do seem to perform as new right up until the end. I do use all of the tire as very little riding takes place in the flat lands. Heading to CO on 22 May via MN for about six weeks of wonderful mountain riding.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've ridden w/ Steve a few times - he MIGHT be UNDERSTATING in his post..!

;)
Who me?

Hiya Ed. I was planning to come out to BC this year until gas got a bit crazy. We had planned on maybe hooking up with y'all in AZ in early Feb but our RV got rear ended on I-10 about an hour east of Quartzite. We lost fresh and black water capabilities. A real "crappy" day for the folks that ran into us while we were doing 60mph.

View attachment 187876 View attachment 187876

1 - 3 of 3 Posts