Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so let me try to explain this.

When I put the kickstand down on my 2011 v and lean the bike over on it, the bottom of the stand will move out and away from the bike about a half inch before it takes the full weight of the bike. It's almost like the bolt holding the stand is loose. I have checked the kickstand bolt and it seems to be tight.

Is this normal with the versys kickstand?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
My KLR did that to the point the stand hit swing arm and left a deep scratch, I took the stand off and bent the two sides where it "forks" the frame bracket in to stop it. Might be the same problem on your V. I don't think I could have pulled it back in by tightening to bolt. I likely would have just striped it out as I had to pound on it with a 5 pound hammer to bend it back in! Sometimes B.F.I. and big hammer IS your friend!

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Mine does it as well as most. I pull the kickstand (out) away from the bike and set it down. That's it! If you don't, you can be walking away and the bike will jolt and scare the $*&t out of you! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yes, I have talked about this a couple of times on other threads. Kick it out with your foot to get max lean in the wind. :thumb:

·
Registered
665 Posts
For additional peace of mind, put a Speedy's Bigfoot on it.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Speedy Gonzalez- Motowerk's Flatfoot helps... By the way, have you seen a Bigfoot lately?

http://shop.motowerk.com/Standard-Flatfoot-KV-FF-STD.htm

There actually are sidestand Bigfoot available that could work too (requires welding).

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Kawasaki/Side Stand Bigfoot.htm

I just welded a homemade one on the bottom to increase its height by about 1/2" as well.

It is normal to be able to tilt stock sidestand out by about 1.25" at the tip. You can pull it out with your foot when you park it on the sidestand, to have it settled that way. The spring pulls it back in when there's no weigh on the sidestand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mine does it as well as most. I pull the kickstand (out) away from the bike and set it down. That's it! If you don't, you can be walking away and the bike will jolt and scare the $*&t out of you! :thumb:
That is exactly what happened to me.....LOL.....I just about threw my back out when I twisted around so fast to grab the bike.....I thought it was going over on it's side as the stand dropped into position after I got off it. Anybody that saw me must have thought I was half nuts!! :p

Thanks letting me know this is normal. Now that I know to expect it, I won't have to make anymore superman leaps back towards the bike!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, I have talked about this a couple of times on other threads. Kick it out with your foot to get max lean in the wind. :thumb:
This thread isn't that old so I thought I'd revive it :) Does anyone feel their bike is too upright on the side stand? I do. All my bikes have leaned over quite a bit more. We get a lot of wind here, and I once had my KLR blow over. I would hate for that to happen to the V.

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
This thread isn't that old so I thought I'd revive it :) Does anyone feel their bike is too upright on the side stand? I do. All my bikes have leaned over quite a bit more. We get a lot of wind here, and I once had my KLR blow over. I would hate for that to happen to the V.
Mine haven't blown over, but I always try to remember to leave it in "PARK" - 1st gear - whenever I park it.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Suggest you get Speedy's Big Foot, and then shorten the kickstand to get the lean angle that you like. I've done this on both my 09 V and 10 V. Works well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Suggest you get Speedy's Big Foot, and then shorten the kickstand to get the lean angle that you like. I've done this on both my 09 V and 10 V. Works well.
That sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. Did you weld it yourself or did you have someone do it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wish I had a dollar for every time that sliding kickstand has done that. I bet I could retire. Or I'll just finally have that heart attack and be done with it all.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I agree +1. A little shorter kick stand would allow a good lean. A big wind could and has blown them over!

But would need some form of (Big Foot) to help kick stand sink! As said before kick the stand out and make sure its in 1st gear or she will roll away! :eek:

Invader why did you make your longer? :eek: Just keeping it inside? I saw a show on Big Foot and they are trying to run him down! And call him in! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts