Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided that a ride would "be in order" yesterday morning, and planned for Aravaipa Canyon, starting w/ the Florence-Kelvin Hwy (F-K), but I HAD to be home by 1430 for a neighbor's invitation for dinner and margaritas.

It was pretty cold at 0715, so I got ready to head-out around 1030 w/out heated gear (tho' I WAS wearing several layers under my jacket). OF COURSE my heated grips WERE selected ON at about the second level (green light ON for those w/ KOSO Apollo grips), so I headed E on the Hunt Hwy, to AZ 79, then E again a few miles later onto the F-K. As I've shown MANY rides along there, I tried to show vistas that I have probably missed photographing previously.

IMG_0623 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

In a short distance back into "Saguaro-Country"...

IMG_0624 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

then down into a "dry-wash" about where the Barkerville Road cuts off S.

IMG_0625 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Several miles further E there's some VERY LARGE boulders just N of the F-K

IMG_0626 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

followed by a ranch named for them.

IMG_0627 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Probably a quarter mile E of the ranch the pavement ENDS

IMG_0629 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

for about 19 miles (as the sign infers...). Nice twisty dirt road (when it's DRY!)...!

IMG_0630 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0631 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

w/ the Ray Mine starting to come into view, but w/out a 'planned-stop' on THIS ride.

IMG_0632 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0633 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0634 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0635 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0636 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

The clock was nearing 1130, so I began to wonder IF I would be able to ride to the end of Aravaipa Canyon...?

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As the F-K ended I turned S onto AZ 177, and as I approached Winkelman I read a sign indicating construction ahead - THAT won't help w/ my time issues! Looks like they're building a new highway bridge at Winkelman at the intersection of AZ 77 S, which IS where my intended route lay....

After probably a ten minute wait, finally the traffic-light let us onto 77, and S. Another (roughly) ten miles and I turned left, E, onto the Aravaipa road toward the canyon, but also realizing that I wouldn't have time for the ride.... o_O

I DID need to stop for a lunch break, so here's where I stopped, about half a mile E of AZ 77.

IMG_0637 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I took a tele-photo of Aravaipa Canyon - it's at the base of that mountain at the center of this pic - but THAT was IT for this ride...!

IMG_0638 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Now I had to 'reverse-course' - back to the construction-site at Winkelman - then N on AZ 177 to Superior,

IMG_0639 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0640 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

S on AZ 60 then via 79 and Arizona Farms Rd to home. I got there at a bit past 1400 having added 150 miles, IN TIME for my neighbor's "DO".

Even tho' I wasn't able to 'do' the planned ride - STILL a great way to 'waste' 3.5 hours...!

IMG_0641 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

(y)(y)

:)

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this to the West Trailhead entrance to Aravaipa? I haven't done the East Trailhead side, looks a little longer to get to as well.

IF you're asking about the hiking trails - I can't say for sure as I haven't hiked in there, but when I've ridden up to the "end-of-the-road" where there's a parking lot, etc after riding in from AZ 77 (where I parked BIG RED and ate lunch on the 14th), I assume that is the "West Trailhead entrance".

Pretty country.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yup, that's what I meant, west side of the Canyon. I thought you could get to the east side on an offroad trail from AZ 77, but it looks like you have to go around on US 70. Very pretty country, gorgeous day hiking in the canyon too!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks Eddie, always enjoy your photos. I lived in Catalina just north of Tucson for a year back in1995 and I miss those wide open spaces.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Beautiful country, but I can't imagine riding there in July or August. Too hot for me. However, you are riding now and I am not. This winter hasn't been too bad so far, but in February 2019, we never got above 0F for the entire month. That was no fun.

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This winter hasn't been too bad so far, but in February 2019, we never got above 0F for the entire month. That was no fun.
I was "born-and-raised" in Edmonton, Alberta, and was there for New Years Eve 1968, after which I had to report back to my RCAF pilot training in CFB Moose Jaw (Saskatchewan) the morning of 01 Jan '69.

New Years Eve was quite warm w/ snow melting, highways wet from the melt. Overnight the temp PLUMMETED to -40F, so the highway was a skating-rink, at least the Alberta part was!

THAT cold-snap lasted 40 days during which the temp STAYED BELOW 0F....

A local radio station had frameable forms you could call for saying... "I survived the BIG FREEZE....".

I saw some of those but never bothered to get one, as I was finishing my "advanced jet" pilot course, then reporting for training to fly the C-130 Hercules, which seemed more important to me....

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday I decided to "complete" this ride to Aravaipa Canyon, starting via the F-K Hwy again

IMG_0748 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

w/ another look at the Crowned Saguaro about 9 miles E of AZ 79.

IMG_0753 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I'll spare a repeat of the ride thru to the start of Aravaipa Road, but I did have lunch not too far from this marker about some local history.

IMG_0757 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I had been seeing smoke (from a wild-fire...?) on the horizon, ahead and to my right, since near Winkelman, wondering IF I'd end up altering my plans, but as I turned into Aravaipa Road I could see that it was perhaps 20 miles further S, hopefully NOT causing me any problems.

IMG_0758 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

The sign by AZ 77 showed it as being 11 miles to the end-of-the-public-road, so I took several more pics on the ride (the road itself is fairly narrow, twisty, rocky w/ loose gravel, and years back someone told me that Rex Allen - a cowboy actor/ western singer in the 50s used to have a ranch along this road).

IMG_0759 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0760 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0761 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0762 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0763 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0764 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Just before I got to the Brandenburg Ranger Station I saw a UPS truck 'burning up' the road behind, and as he passed, heading E also, while I was stopped at the Ranger Station, I decided to start back w/out more of the eastern section, about three miles, (which I have ridden before) to avoid meeting that truck again.

IMG_0765 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

That pickup in the right side of this pic had a loose, NASTY mid-size dog which ran over barking and snarling at me, so I was glad to get away w/out being bit.

IMG_0766 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I saw the UPS truck way-y-y back in my mirrors, but kept up enough speed that I made it out to AZ 77 w/out seeing him again, then rode 77 S to N on AZ 79, and home, arriving at 1500, the ride totaling 170 miles over four hours.

IMG_0768 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0769 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
Vx300 Don’t fear the Revs!
400 Posts
Beauty! How bout dose Oilers eh? I’ve learned a little Canadian from across the river in Detroit. Which is faster, the C130 or the versys? I used to maintain the avionics on KC/RC 135s with USAF. Stationed in Fairbanks, I got to see a good bit of Canada driving home in 92. Honda V65 Sabre in the back of my pickup. That would have been an epic ride.

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...Which is faster, the C130 or the versys?....
I suppose that would depend on the terrain.

I landed ON and took-off from dirt and snow/ice (high Arctic in Canada, desert dry-lake in Fort Irwin, CA, a jungle-road in Guyana in '71), but did NOT try any 'tight-turns', so IF turns are involved the Versys is faster...!

:unsure:

Here's a Canuck C-130E in the Arctic

RCAF Herc by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

C130 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

a three-plane C-130 formation (FOUR including the C-130 taking the pics)

C-130 formation by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and doing a JATO takeoff at the Abbotsford Airshow in '69.

JATO C-130 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice pics. I think it’s fair to say the C130 is pretty much a versys with wings. Anything resembling a landing strip. Anytime.
Pretty much...!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts