Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local hardware store in search of material to make a radiator guard. Little did I know they had an off-the-shelf item.

I found a vent screen assembly that is used to vent attics and crawl spaces. It was made of galvanized steel and measured 6 3/4 inches by 15 inches; virtually the perfect size for a Versys radiator.

I rounded the corners on my belt sander, painted it black and fabbed up some mounts.

$2.15 plus tax and various bits I found around my shop.

I think it came out pretty nice!

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm likin it Michael!

buy a few dozen at bulk, set up a small shop to do the rounding and fab, and you're in business!!

oh yeah, don't forget to mark up the price by a 1000 percent or so...

hey I'm not knocking it, looks very good and should pretty much do the trick any owner is looking for...

·
Registered
577 Posts
that looks nice enough to where I may just swap out my office depot "inbox" radiator guard. good find.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Good one.

A friend of mine used a chrome kitchen gadget that was a weave pattern to make a radiator guard for his touring bike. Looked real good actually.
I think I know what it is. Usually the BBQ grill has this wavy pattern and the square pattern is around 1cm x 1cm. But it requires some work to cut into the right shape.

Don't forget the fender extender as it is more likely the front tires kick up particles onto the radiator than a randomly flown particle gets to the radiator. A sticky rubber picks up and throws more dirt.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looks good Michael. If you don't mind me asking, which hardware store did you pick this up from? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
That is a good find! Looks great fine job! Good air flow for hot weather!
Which hardware store was that?
I was always going to fab my own, but time keeps ticking by. :clap:

Also do consider Fenda Extenda!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good Michael. If you don't mind me asking, which hardware store did you pick this up from? Thanks.
The hardware store was a locally owned store called Mendo Mill. You could print off my 1st picture and go into your local hw store and say "do you have any of these?". I suspect it's probably a relatively universal part or that everyone carries something similar.

Michael

·
Registered
228 Posts
The hardware store was a locally owned store called Mendo Mill. You could print off my 1st picture and go into your local hw store and say "do you have any of these?". I suspect it's probably a relatively universal part or that everyone carries something similar.

Michael
Sounds good. I'll check my local Home Depot and Lowes. I like the idea, especially since I'm running a supermoto front fender.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I went to my local hardware store in search of material to make a radiator guard. Little did I know they had an off-the-shelf item.

I found a vent screen assembly that is used to vent attics and crawl spaces. It was made of galvanized steel and measured 6 3/4 inches by 15 inches; virtually the perfect size for a Versys radiator.

I rounded the corners on my belt sander, painted it black and fabbed up some mounts.

$2.15 plus tax and various bits I found around my shop.

I think it came out pretty nice!

Michael
Cool find! Great score!

What is brand name is on the vent screen? Maybe my local stores sell them. I'd love to snatch one up for my V.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Cheapass? How did you know my middle name, ha ha?

Radiator guards are going from $91 up, plus tax and shipping!

I think I can afford yours :)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
haha thats the exact same one i made =p yay lowes and there cheap vent covers :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Damn it! wish i would have read this thread before my trip to lowes this afternoon... looks like I'll be making another trip tmr. thanks for the post!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would seriously pay guys on this forum to make me the homemade farkles. Michael - I'd like to place an order for an engine guard, radiator guard, knuckle guards, and rock guard. I'm actually jokingly seriously for real. If you purchased those four items from a dealer, I'm guessing it would cost < $750. In my two years on the Versys, I have never had a reason to have any of those, but they sure look cool; and I just can't bring myself to spend a whole lot on ornamentals.

For what it's worth, that vent cover also makes a great ember retainer for a fireplace grate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts