Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing a Tire Pressure Monitoring System on my Versys X300. This is a simple install and brief review of the SYKIK product and features the install and before/after ride results. I think of these devices as an early warning system for air loss and keeping a visual display of keeping the correct air pressure in your tires to have them last longer.
Amazon link for the SYKIK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFH9WZ7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
See my YouTube Channel for many videos on the X300 accessory installs.
LINK:

Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
I'm interested in knowing how these last over time. So far I'm staying in the "interested but not committed" camp ... but as more good folks start using these, I'm getting closer to wanting this.

Thanks for the writeup @Dave 300x ... I'll watch your video soon ... gotta finish a few things and get ready for my early flight in the morning 馃槣 ... board at 5:05am ?!

Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
I鈥檇 like to add this to my build. My rear radial is stiff enough it wasn鈥檛 immediately apparent when I experienced a catastrophic loss of pressure. It鈥檚 good to know such things immediately! And monitoring the pressure would be handy too.

Registered
been using tpms for years now ...several times ive been warned about a puncture in good time ..display flashes red and beeps ..yes you can feel a gradual deflation but serously the v650 is a 115mmph motorcycle and i cant get me head around why you wouldnt want a early warning of a puncture ...25 quid buys a reliable accurate tpms that has the bonus of checking your tyres every ride with no effort ....ive had dozens of punctures over the yaers as i ride a lot of duel sport and finding out the old fashioned way is not much fun
safety wise a puncture is right up there in terms of danger so i have mine right in my eyline where i can see the red flashing warning light
i were out in wales recently and the alarm went off showing 32 psi //30 seconds after i stopped it was down to 4 ....four plug worms and a can of holts still did not seal it but got me to the hotel ....slash puncture 15mm wide...so there i am with a slowleaking tyre and it was nice to be able to keep a eye on the pressure...i started at 50 psi and when i got to the digs it was down to 29 ..next day i was able to get the bike home and having that moniter was great as i coiuld see the pressures were safe between stopping every twnty miles and re inlfateing
any way its up to the individual but ..if you were riding at 80 mph and somone tapped you on the shoulder and said you have a puncture stop now you would be very grateful i think ....these little machines do it for you and for 25 quid its a no brainer to me .i were ont little bike a while back and its pitch black and lots of bendy turns ..check out 41 sec on the phone video and tell me its not agood idea ...id encouage anyone to have one as i think they are a brillaint safty warning ,,having had em for a while i dont like to ride without them

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
been using tpms for years now ...several times ive been warned about a puncture in good time ..display flashes red and beeps ..yes you can feel a gradual deflation but serously the v650 is a 115mmph motorcycle and i cant get me head around why you wouldnt want a early warning of a puncture ...25 quid buys a reliable accurate tpms that has the bonus of checking your tyres every ride with no effort ....ive had dozens of punctures over the yaers as i ride a lot of duel sport and finding out the old fashioned way is not much fun
safety wise a puncture is right up there in terms of danger so i have mine right in my eyline where i can see the red flashing warning light
i were out in wales recently and the alarm went off showing 32 psi //30 seconds after i stopped it was down to 4 ....four plug worms and a can of holts still did not seal it but got me to the hotel ....slash puncture 15mm wide...so there i am with a slowleaking tyre and it was nice to be able to keep a eye on the pressure...i started at 50 psi and when i got to the digs it was down to 29 ..next day i was able to get the bike home and having that moniter was great as i coiuld see the pressures were safe between stopping every twnty miles and re inlfateing
any way its up to the individual but ..if you were riding at 80 mph and somone tapped you on the shoulder and said you have a puncture stop now you would be very grateful i think ....these little machines do it for you and for 25 quid its a no brainer to me .i were ont little bike a while back and its pitch black and lots of bendy turns ..check out 41 sec on the phone video and tell me its not agood idea ...id encouage anyone to have one as i think they are a brillaint safty warning ,,having had em for a while i dont like to ride without them

Brilliantly said - your testimony is exactly why I've installed the TPMS on my X300.
So far X300 owners are slpit -
Two are a no go.
One is a maybe.
Two are a yes - the system is a must.
Interesting. Other X300 owners what say ye?
UPDATE 8/12/2022 - see below where i've added additional benefits of having a TPMS system on your X300 with like the 10% rule and excessive tire wear and aging.

Registered
I've had the same system on my 2018 V1K for over two years, including one battery replacement. It provides peace of mind, one less thing for me to wonder about as I am riding along. If handling feels 'off', a quick check of the display lets me know if tire pressure is an issue. I do think the alarm could be a lot louder, but the flashing red light helps. Also, you really should run metal valve stems.

Just yesterday morning, I was backing the bike out of my garage for the morning commute and noted that the rear tire was at 37. A little low... A quick check of the rear tire found a small screw embedded in the tread. Not sure how long it would have taken to lose enough pressure to cause issues on my commute, but since a large chunk of it is at 75MPH or so, I didn't want to find out. 10 minutes to plug and fill the tire back up with air, and I was on my way to work.

In my Yosemite trip thread, I talk about how on the final day my buddy got a flat on his Buell near Crested Butte. He also has the Sykik system (i bought it for a birthday present in 2020) and said that he saw the red flashing light and new he had to stop fairly quickly...

I give the system a solid 10/10.

Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
I understand the handling will get wobbly. With the structure of my side wall, took me maybe 1/2 mile at freeways speed to identify, something is wrong. I鈥檝e had 8 flats before on various bikes, front and back, tube and tubeless. I was on a straight. Could have been a bigger problem had I tried to corner and found the problem mid curve at high speed. I see the value, as long as it鈥檚 reliable and not creating problems. There鈥檚 added value in knowing your pressure is good or could add some otherwise.

Premium Member
I have been running tpms for several years, it is considered a safety piece of equipment plus shows if my pressure is correct.
This seller delivered from China in less than a week!! Price has gone up.

Premium Member
Definitely like the idea of using a tpms and this seems like a great idea considering the ease of install and the price. I also like the temperature monitor idea, lets you keep an eye on it while riding in the middle of the day during summer heat on freeways. Tires getting too hot? Time to pull over and maybe take a break or take the backroads instead.

Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
I'm liking the idea more and more. I think small changes in pressure would be as good a reason as catastrophic changers to have one. As some have said, you usually know it when there's a catastrophic failure, but to @onewizard 's point, knowing when you're "out of tolerance' ... 10%ish ... you can fix it before it wears more on your tires / heats them up / etc ... before the failure occurs.

@onewizard -- how is the accuracy now vs. when you first got yours ... any changes? How about battery life?

Happy Thursday !
JT

Reactions: Dave 300x

Registered
the ones i use have a settings to scroll through for min pressure max pressure /temp also display tyre temp in c or f ... pressures pretty much within 1psi of a decent guage so very acurate ...you find that as the tyre warms up the pressures increase ..a 36 standard psi in the rear will run at 38 /39 when warmed on preloged run as i guess the hot air expands inside ...

Registered
I am being flippant, but what we older riders (in our 60s or over) should consider is a blood pressure/heartbeat monitoring system linking up to a little display like the tire pressure one. If our blood pressure or heartbeat exceeds a preset value or becomes irregular, then the display would turn red and flash a warning.

Never mind the tire pressure -- what about your blood pressure?!

Premium Member
I'm liking the idea more and more. I think small changes in pressure would be as good a reason as catastrophic changers to have one. As some have said, you usually know it when there's a catastrophic failure, but to @onewizard 's point, knowing when you're "out of tolerance' ... 10%ish ... you can fix it before it wears more on your tires / heats them up / etc ... before the failure occurs.

@onewizard -- how is the accuracy now vs. when you first got yours ... any changes? How about battery life?

Happy Thursday !
JT
The unit itself needs charging about every 4 months. The sending units the battery lasted 3 years. Accuracy is within 1 pound . Just think, how would you know if you have the correct pressure for the type of tire and actual load. I feel that strongly about it, that I think it should be standard equipment from OEM.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I've been using the exact same ones as the OP for about a year, and they work great.
Thank you! The $50 system with easy install and accurate pressure monitoring and longevity sells me on that the SYKIK has value to all of us X300 owners. As said by responders above the SYKIK provides temperature also and that is more data for me to know what is going on. I'm a degreed engineer with a lifelong history of wrenching on everything and understand mechanical operations. Data is everything. This SYKIK system should have been on my X300 much earlier.
Also - looking to this a bit more other posting talk about the 10% rule - if your tires pressures are rising more that 10% (at temp after miles of riding is OVER 10% more than your cold starting temp) then that is deems excessive. Then you are potentially under inflating your tires. In my video I discuss the temperature changes in both my tires. There is one other aspect to consider and that is side wall stiffness that I talk about in the video. My bike has the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires that are super stiff and I have my pressures down a bit (cold 31 front, 32 rear) and approximately get the 10% rise. The Dunlop's are insanely stiff. The SYKIK system can provide those temperature numbers but not if you don't have one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts