Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my bike's 3rd oil change (First 2 dino oil) I finally got the chance to do it myself (live in the city, so it's hard to find anywhere to work on the bike). I decided to go with Amsoil 10w40. NOT cheap, but why skimp on something so important to the motor? So far I've been very pleased with the results. Unexpectedly I noticed a difference in the 'tone' of the motor. Hard to explain but perhaps it sounds a bit growlier? It also seems to feel less strained, if that makes any sense, over 6000rpm. Overall the bike feels better. Considering that the oil is a pretty major component in the bike I wasn't too shocked, but I guess I didn't think it would be that noticeable. I'm hoping for improved fuel economy, and will report back when the numbers are in. Also- that splash of hot oil on your wrist when you remove the drain nut with your hand is AWESOME :p :badidea:

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
...Also- that splash of hot oil on your wrist when you remove the drain nut with your hand is AWESOME :p :badidea:
Pick up some latex gloves at Harbor-Freight (and REMEMBER to put them on...!) for when you change your oil.

:goodluck:

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Alright, maybe I'm the dumbass here, but after switching to synthetic oil in my bike and both of my cars, there was a difference in the way the machines sounded. Not to mention a slight (percieved) difference in clutch response. I was kinda wondering the same thing as the OP, just assumed it was the oil and never questioned it much. I'm sure that baby oil will make my engine sound different, but that doesn't really answer the burning question... What's the synthetic doing to my ride and is it a good or bad thing???
:feedback:

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
:rolleyes: Kumbaya, dear goat12 :eek:penarms:... Thanks for your interesting perceived observations, and for sharing your experience with us.

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
:rolleyes: Kumbaya, dear goat12 :eek:penarms:... Thanks for your interesting perceived observations, and for sharing your experience with us.

+1

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It has occurred to me that some of my perceptions and observations have come under fire not because someone was trying to make me look dumb (a totally useless task, I've demonstrated that fact many times); but rather because the commenter was trying to build up there own perception of their selves.

So I say what I want & don't much care about the criticism from the gallery

Never attribute to malice when ignorance will suffice

·
Registered
665 Posts
+1 black dog.

Hell, I always feel like my truck runs better after a bath too. I like that.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not saying Amsoil is a bad product but I guess I'm just skeptical of any claims that it is measurably better than any other synthetic oil with the same API and JASO-MA ratings that is on the market. From what I've read all the synthetic oil manufactures, including Amsoil, use the same base oils and the only real difference between brands is they all have their own recipe of additives. About the only difference between Amsoil and other similar products as far as I can tell is they use a multi level marketing scheme like Amway.

Anyone remember oil additives like Slick 50? They used to make claims about making your engine last longer and get better mileage until they got taken to court and could not prove it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So refreshing to see the holier than thou, have to make completely not needed comments to make someone feel stupid so they can boost their own ego forum Nazis are very much alive and well here to.

Glad you are happy with the switch to Amsoil man.

Sent from my Xoom

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Alright, maybe I'm the dumbass here, but after switching to synthetic oil in my bike and both of my cars, there was a difference in the way the machines sounded. Not to mention a slight (percieved) difference in clutch response. I was kinda wondering the same thing as the OP, just assumed it was the oil and never questioned it much. I'm sure that baby oil will make my engine sound different, but that doesn't really answer the burning question... What's the synthetic doing to my ride and is it a good or bad thing???
:feedback:
Way-y-y back in the mid-'80s I researched Amsoil by reading all the test literature I could get hold of. They mentioned a test (called the "Oldsmobile 350 test" I believe) where an engine would be filled with clean (whatever brand) oil, then run at high load for quite a long time. According to them, ALL 'dino' oils increased viscosity to the point that the oils would NOT pour at the finish, EXCEPT Amsoil synthetic (which had only increased its viscosity around 8%), so they left the oil in and ran the test again, Amsoil being the ONLY oil to be run twice at that time.

I started using Amsoil in my '62 Corvette (340hp 327) and '86 VW Jetta on which I kept a log. After going synthetic I saw a verifiable increase in fuel economy of aprox. 4.5%, and then when I changed the tranny (manual) to synth I got a further 2.5% increase.

Since then I have run EVERY vehicle I've owned on synth, tho' now I use Mobil1 car oil in cars and bikes. Bikes have included a Bandit 1200S and a Yamaha SR500 on 10w-30 (energy conserving!), and a KLR650 and TWO Versys on 20w-50, as well as my gas lawn-mower.

Works for me.
:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've always read good things about Amsoil. I just put motorcycle Mobil 1 in my 2008. It does seem to shift slightly better. Is that because it's new oil? Because it carries the JASO rating that the Castrol Syntec did not? Because it's Mobil 1? Because it's Mobil 1 formulated for motorcycles? I have no idea. The Castrol Syntec full synth was pretty good too. My guess is that engine new oil after 5K miles seems slightly better.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've always read good things about Amsoil. I just put motorcycle Mobil 1 in my 2008. It does seem to shift slightly better. Is that because it's new oil? Because it carries the JASO rating that the Castrol Syntec did not? Because it's Mobil 1? Because it's Mobil 1 formulated for motorcycles? I have no idea. The Castrol Syntec full synth was pretty good too. My guess is that engine new oil after 5K miles seems slightly better.
JASO MA is a test for clutch slip and oils certified to it is suitable for bikes with wet sump system.

Your observation on different oils is what make 'oils just ain't oils'. Some say put in good oil, change it on time, and you are good. Some are more sensitive and can feel the difference. The latter usually takes part in oil survey threads positively while the former thinks it's a waste of time discussing oils. For me, I appreciate your observational report as it helps me to be more knowledgeable. Just a question, is the SAE grade the same for both Mobil 1 an Syntec (i.e 10W40)?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts