Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone watching the America's cup. 70 foot monsters, doing 40 plus knots in 20 knot wind, sailing on one foil in the water, right on the edge of control and over powering. Amazing.

·
Registered
642 Posts
At this point, the engineering is so extreme in this sport that just finishing a race is an accomplishment. I think that this year should induce the America's Cup to figure out a better way - after a life has been lost and barely any teams are racing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Anyone watching the America's cup. 70 foot monsters, doing 40 plus knots in 20 knot wind, sailing on one foil in the water, right on the edge of control and over powering. Amazing.

I've been reading highlights. Where are you watching this? Links please.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think team Oracle's rule/boat changes were a little over the top. They have stopped alot of other teams competing, due to extremes/costs etc. I read somewhere that if the cup comes back to New Zealand, monohulls with wing masts might be the order of the day.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I like when they were sailing the 12 meter boats. I think it was a bit more sailors and less engineering then as the rules were laid down in black and white in a book.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I say the next cup should be battled out in identical "strict one design" Optimist class boats. it would keep costs down. Even countries like Liberia, Tajikistan, and others could field teams. If you don't know what an optimist class one design sail boat is here is a picture......

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I say the next cup should be battled out in identical "strict one design" Optimist class boats. it would keep costs down. Even countries like Liberia, Tajikistan, and others could field teams. If you don't know what an optimist class one design sail boat is here is a picture......

Lets at least go with 16' Hobies if it is a world level race!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

There would be still "cheatin" going on and court cases. One of the "Low lights" of America's cup.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
24 knots on the upwind leg! 37.8 knots/55 MPH/91.6 KmH in a sailboat weighing 7 tons on the downwind leg.

"The wing and foils weigh more than the boat" - quote from commentator

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I like when they were sailing the 12 meter boats. I think it was a bit more sailors and less engineering then as the rules were laid down in black and white in a book.
+1 When Dennis Connor's team entered a catamaran many years ago, I thought that violated the spirit of the event and I don't think it's gotten better since. The boats have gotten faster and more advanced, but I'm not sure the racing has improved.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
+1 When Dennis Connor's team entered a catamaran many years ago, I thought that violated the spirit of the event and I don't think it's gotten better since. The boats have gotten faster and more advanced, but I'm not sure the racing has improved.
Don't blame Dennis. He was the skipper on a boat that was built to answer the monster the Aussy's built to challenge for the cup outside the normal round robin of sail offs.

Sadly the days of the 12m boats is gone now it's a tech race just like F1 and NASCAR.

One more reason I like SCCA racing. Run what ya brung and if you need a helping hand the guy next to you will likely pitch in off track with all he can. Of course he'll be trying to beat you ON the track.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't blame Dennis. He was the skipper on a boat that was built to answer the monster the Aussy's built to challenge for the cup outside the normal round robin of sail offs.

Sadly the days of the 12m boats is gone now it's a tech race just like F1 and NASCAR.

One more reason I like SCCA racing. Run what ya brung and if you need a helping hand the guy next to you will likely pitch in off track with all he can. Of course he'll be trying to beat you ON the track.
It was New Zealand that built that monster 90 ft monohull boat. The match was a no contest but that monster monohull was still fast.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The match was a no contest...
That was the point I was getting at...where it's no contest, it's not a race.

I recall a story that pitted a small plane against a car in a race over some distance (400 miles, I think it was). There were two magazine staffs involved (something like Car & Driver and Pilot) and both magazines were owned by the same media company so there was an extra level of rivalry built in. The idea was to race door to door between two addresses (it may have been the locations of their two editorial offices) with one team driving the whole way and the other driving to the airport, filing a flight plan, flying to another airport, and taking a taxi to the second address.

So anyway, the story (in Car & Driver) ended up describing the concept and the challenge and the race rules, then went on to describe how the car guys cheated in order to win by doing things like disconnecting the battery cable in the pilot's car so his departure would be delayed until he figured out the problem. I wrote to the author and asked why they didn't stage a fair race and determine a legitimate winner. He wrote back and said I missed the point. I wrote back and said everything from the magazine cover to the article title to the explanation of the race rules in the story indicated a fair race -- and then the car guys cheated. So what was the point exactly?

One reason I enjoyed racing (crewing) Hobie Cats was each boat was in the same class -- 14 or 16 or 18 or 21, etc. -- with only minor modifications allowed. The race pitted sailors against each other.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep. I wonder how far up the command chain the cheating was authorized.I see the junior Americas cup, team New Zealand 1 and 2. The cup itself starts this Sunday morn, NZ time. We shall see which boat is faster. Oracle looks very sleek and fast and team NZ very clinical. The first race will tell all. Go team New Zealand.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts