Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHAT ARE THE BEST MOTORCYCLE ROADS? I’m sure there’s a bunch of roads you could name right now that you deem as your favorites. But did you know that there is an even bigger bunch that is officially designated as “National Scenic Byways“? And, by the way, what the heck is an officially designated “All-American Road”?

Here’s the scoop:

The US Department of Transportation recognizes certain chunks of motorcycle-riding splendor for their archeological, cultural, historic, natural, recreational, and/or scenic qualities and calls them “National Scenic Byways.”

If that’s not an enticing enough list of soul-fulfilling riding destinations, they then take that list and isolate a number that are the MOST scenic and those are called “All-American Roads.” Stated differently, these are America’s “A list” motorcycle destinations for sport-touring riders. All-American Roads include destinations such as:

♦ Big Sur Coast Highway

♦ Beartooth Highway

♦ Blue Ridge Parkway

♦ San Juan Skyway

In fact, check out the whole list of America’s Byways
http://www.byways.org/explore/byways#index_A
You can also request an America’s Byways Map which will be mailed to you at no charge. (Alas, it’s only for folks in North America).

What’s your favorite byway?

:cheers:(http://motorcycle-intelligence.com)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Heres one I bet a lot of people dont know about. Its a little dirt road that runs for about 20 miles between Route 7 and Route 50 in Virginia along the Shenandoah River. It runs N-S and the Shenandoah is one of a hand full of rivers that flow north!

Thanks for the post Ill be looking at the rides.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are :welcome:

wish we had that much of roads here. I am done with about 60% of the roads here. Nothing much left to ride so might look into the neighbouring country-Thailand.

:cheers:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks a bunch Fastoman. Just requested the map. If you run out of roads at your location, just come on over :thumb:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I wish my GPS had the option to choose Scenic Byways. I can pick not to ride on the highway. Take bicycle route, hiking route, fastest route and shortest route. Seems like the option to take the most Scenic Route would be great for motorcyclists when traveling.
Until then, I will stick with a good old map in conjunction with the GPS.
BTW, some of my favorite roads are:Going to the Sun Highway, Pacific Coast Highway, Blueridge Parkway, Natchez Trace

1 - 6 of 6 Posts