Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after months of sitting on me arse and not doing a thing about it, I finally began the rear rack crafting adventure. Went to the local Rural King and purchase a 24" x 24" of aluminum. Measured it out and decided to cut 6" off of the rear of the rack. I wanted it to be 2' wide and 18" long. Unseen in the pictures is a 3" line from the rear of the rack. This weekend I will head to our family farm and use our press to put a bend in the rear of the rack. Holes will be drilled along the edges for straps and bungee cords.

I purchase the SW Tank Bag bracket from Revzilla for a Kawasaki KLX250S. I still have not decided a quick and efficient way of mounting the rack to the bracket. I want to be able to take it on and off relatively easy (10 min max). Think I should mount flush against the bracket or put some spacers in between rack and bracket.

Here are pictures of my progress so far. After I have decided how I am going to mount it I will take it and have it powder coated.

Before anyone thinks I came up with this on my own, no the case. Fasteddiecopeman is the one who gave me this idea, I'm just trying to be like Ed

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
...Before anyone thinks I came up with this on my own, no the case. Fasteddiecopeman is the one who gave me this idea, I'm just trying to be like Ed
I "cheated" - I had the shop I bought the aluminum at, clip the corners, then bend it on their 'brake'.

Yours - lookin' good...!

:thumb: - :thumb:

Mine'll get it's "Baptism-of-fire" starting Saturday when I head N for D2D 2016...!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I "cheated" - I had the shop I bought the aluminum at, clip the corners, then bend it on their 'brake'.

Yours - lookin' good...!

:thumb: - :thumb:

Mine'll get it's "Baptism-of-fire" starting Saturday when I head N for D2D 2016...!
I'm just stuck in a hard place deciding what color to make the bad boy. How much did the shop charge you if you don't mind me asking? Rural King was more than I expected a 24"x24" sheet to be. ($29.99)

Best of luck too with this years D2D ride

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone on another forum (I believe I've seen him on here before too; kohburn) had the suggestion of using a bead roller on the rack. Hey @fasteddiecopeman, what thickness was the aluminum you used for your versys rack? My rack is slightly smaller than yours dimension wise if I remember correctly but I think you used a thicker aluminum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts