Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Versys riders:

Yesterday was a bit cool out in the mountains so I broke out my Gerbing heated jacket liner. Rode about 112 miles through some local mountains. Got to the summit with the group for some picture taking. Shut down the bike. Photo's commenced. Got back on the bike and went to start it and nothing. The abs light was dimly lit and that was the only light showing on the dash. Put the bike in neutral and coasted down the mountain until a decent starightaway and shifted up to 3rd or 4th I don't remember and tried to bump start but the bike would not stay running. Anyways, attached some cables from a buddies battery and after a few minutes it started right up, but disconnecting the positive cable the bike died immediately. Put the battery on a tender when I got home last night but it is still not charged. I think maybe I over stressed the alternator or rectifier? I think I'll go down and buy a new battery as I picked up this bike in 2020 (it's a 2015 with 20,000 miles on the clock - most of the miles are mine) and I don't know how old the battery is. Any other thoughts? Thanks for your attention.

· Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
227 Posts
The stator has enough and it's a good mofset series regulator..... not your problem I'd think. I'd bet your battery was running low on capacity, and got pushed to the limits.... charge the battery and take it to a auto/battery place and have it load tested to confirm.

I install a voltmeter on all my bikes and monitor charging voltage as I ride.... with the heated gear and other accessories running, if voltage drops below ~13, you're now starting to use up battery capacity, so you know to dial heated gear, etc. down if that happens. However, in my experience with this beast, even full on, I'm always comfortably above 13V..... again, just suspecting your battery was the issue.

· Registered
Versys 650 (2020) - Yamaha XTE 600 (2001)
57 Posts
Hi,
I would say the problem is most probably the battery.

It's quite common today that a battery failed suddenly, with no warning signs.
A battery is made of 6 elements connected to each other (nominal voltage : 2.1 V).
If one rod (made of lead) is cut inside one element, the voltage drop to almost nothing as soon as the requested current increase.

See you later
Emmanuel

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I've had a number of vehicle batteries just die suddenly and unrecoverably. In the old days, idk what was different, but batteries seemed to bounce back after being discharged without much trouble. But in the last maybe 8 years or so I've had a couple each of car and motorcycle batteries just die.

· Registered
2015 Versys 650 LT
1,215 Posts
Ive got a 2015 650. How old is the battery?I think its written on it. My OEM lasted 5 years. A voltmeter is a really handy little farkle for sure. I have the Sparkbrite, really simple. Green is good, Red is not! Theres other features like how many red flashes. Raised my 650 idle up to 1450-1500 rpm so when its hot at a light it stays green. I dont know what type of regulator the 1000 has but I changed mine to a series regulator rather than the OEM shunt.

· Registered
Versys 650 (2020) - Yamaha XTE 600 (2001)
57 Posts
Ive got a 2015 650. ../... A voltmeter is a really handy little farkle for sure. I have the Sparkbrite, really simple. Green is good, Red is not!
Hi,
Are you sure you don't already have a battery indicator on the standard LCD ?
On my 650 / 2019, there is a small warning icon which is supposed to signal a faulty battery.

Font Engineering Machine Circle Auto part

These indicators go on if the battery voltage is less than
11.0 V or more than 16.0 V. If they go on, charge the
battery. If they still go on after charging the battery,
have the battery and/or charging system checked by an
authorized Kawasaki dealer.

See you later
Emmanuel

· Registered
2015 Versys 650 LT
1,215 Posts
Are you sure you don't already have a battery indicator on the standard LCD ?
On my 650 / 2019, there is a small warning icon which is supposed to signal a faulty battery.
A voltage monitor is more like real time monitoring for the electric system so you dont get to the point of a dead battery. It just measures the real time voltage. So for instance, the Sparkbrite is green. I stop at a long light and the fan kicks in and it turns red. Stators not keeping up because of the low revs and running off the battery now till you get going again. Fix, bump up the revs a bit at the stop preferably in N. Or other small changes in the charging system like a faulty stator and the battery is OK. Once your battery indicator comes on that battery is dead I think....

· Premium Member
16,426 Posts
@jaaklucas
You beat me to it, I was grabbing a picture of the meter I have like what one wizard uses
On my 16 V-1000 I had that exact same meter mounted to an old MotoWerk GPS Mount from my 09 V-650 just below the meter i had my garage door opener and Helmet Camera Remote Control also mounted to the plate. The meter is circled in purple... you can click on the photo to see it larger.

P1020090 by weljo2001, on Flickr

· Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
832 Posts
On my 16 V-1000 I had that exact same meter mounted to an old MotoWerk GPS Mount from my 09 V-650 just below the meter i had my garage door opener and Helmet Camera Remote Control also mounted to the plate. The meter is circled in purple... you can click on the photo to see it larger.

P1020090 by weljo2001, on Flickr
I like your tank protector 😎
I find the meter handy for the glancing view instead if trying to read a number, also bump the rpm to get the first green light at idle. I have mine mounted over the large hole on the right side of the dash, made a ABS plate to fit the area and installed with 2 face tape

Attachments

· Premium Member
16,426 Posts
I like your tank protector 😎
I find the meter handy for the glancing view instead if trying to read a number, also bump the rpm to get the first green light at idle. I have mine mounted over the large hole on the right side of the dash, made a ABS plate to fit the area and installed with 2 face tape
Also had that same tank protector on my V-650. She reminds me of a girl i dated back in Texas in the 90's. https://belize.desertcart.com/amp/p...slt-70059-pantera-tank-pad-for-all-sportbikes

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

· Premium Member
16,426 Posts
@weljo2001
No pic with your link, where at in Texas? I'm between DFW and Waco now
The link worked fine for me. Ft.Worth I was born at Carswell Air Force Base. It's now a Naval Air Station. The hospital has been turned into a Federal Prison for Women. I'm in SoCal now since 2005. But my little brother still lives there.

· Registered
832 Posts
I've been in the DFW area since 2009. That base is now NAS Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base. I lived outside of Lakeworth and in Azle for a bit, fighters would do fly overs all the time, loud as hell. During the pandemic wife started working from home and I had a forced retirement so we packed it up and got out to a small town of about 2000 population

· Premium Member
16,426 Posts
I've been in the DFW area since 2009. That base is now NAS Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base. I lived outside of Lakeworth and in Azle for a bit, fighters would do fly overs all the time, loud as hell. During the pandemic wife started working from home and I had a forced retirement so we packed it up and got out to a small town of about 2000 population
Thats my old stomping grounds. I'm sure that you must have eaten at an El Paseo Mexican Restaurant. I went to north side high school with the guy that owned them. They had one in Saginaw 1 in Azle and 1 in Keller. He married a girl that lived a few houses from me and he opened up a beauty shop for his girlfriend out in Springtown. His wife and girlfriend didn't get along that well. haha... He died from cancer awhile back.

Heres a photo from my brothers dock at his place on Eagle Mountain Lake. If you go a little to the right then straight from his dock across the lake is Azle

PICT0127 by weljo2001, on Flickr

· Registered
832 Posts
Thats my old stomping grounds. I'm sure that you must have eaten at an El Paseo Mexican Restaurant. I went to north side high school with the guy that owned them. They had one in Saginaw 1 in Azle and 1 in Keller. He married a girl that lived a few houses from me and he opened up a beauty shop for his girlfriend out in Springtown. His wife and girlfriend didn't get along that well. haha... He died from cancer awhile back.

Heres a photo from my brothers dock at his place on Eagle Mountain Lake. If you go a little to the right then straight from his dock across the lake is Azle

PICT0127 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Yep, yep and yep. Eat there many times in Azle. Have done business with Two Wright Arms gun shop in Springtown and was a member at Parker County gun rage in Poolville. We did the RV lifestyle for a bit off of 199 west of Lakeworth just west of the bridge over the lake and also south of Azle off 730. Rented a house off Flat Rock Rd. When we decided to get out of the city, actually North Richland Hills we wanted back out that way but nothing available at that time so we ended up south of Whitney. There was mobile homes for sale but the VA only does stick homes. Picking were slim at that time and we had some set things in mind.

· Premium Member
16,426 Posts
Yep, yep and yep. Eat there many times in Azle. Have done business with Two Wright Arms gun shop in Springtown and was a member at Parker County gun rage in Poolville. We did the RV lifestyle for a bit off of 199 west of Lakeworth just west of the bridge over the lake and also south of Azle off 730. Rented a house off Flat Rock Rd. When we decided to get out of the city, actually North Richland Hills we wanted back out that way but nothing available at that time so we ended up south of Whitney. There was mobile homes for sale but the VA only does stick homes. Picking were slim at that time and we had some set things in mind.
Yea we grew up on the Northside of Ft.Worth. { rough area } Just off of Long Ave. Right between 199 Jacksboro Hwy and Azle Ave. My brother bought the property on the lake for $140,000 His brother in law was a builder so he spent right at $200,000 to have a house built. Stayed there for a few years and sold it for $780,000 and had a house built in Haslet in the Sendera Ranch section for $330,000. Just sold it within the last 6 months and bought a home with 4.5 acres 3 miles out from Roanoke. He wanted his 3 kids to still be able to go to Northwest High School the area had built up so much he needed to have some space to breath. Heres a video of his neighborhood in Sendera Ranch before i rode my V-650 to Cali...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts