Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I encounter something or see something interesting, the GoPro is never on, but here's the story.

I rode from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh over the weekend. Last night, I left Pittsburgh at 1AM to head back home. It's a 312 miles trip. I always plan to stop at Sideling Hill Service Plaza, which is 150 miles east of Pittsburgh and the most convenient stop for the route. More than 200 miles of the route is a bunch of altitude changes from going up and down mountains.

I'm cruising with the jellyfish on in the right lane at 70MPH along I-76E by myself just about 30-35 miles from the service plaza. I haven't seen or past a single car for the past 30-40 miles from either side of the turnpike. The road becomes a slight incline. I am looking dead straight ahead. There are no street lights and my Versys is the only source of light. Clouds were out and no moon light.

In a matter of nanoseconds, I noticed a black figure about ten or less feet in front of me running from the left lane into mine. I swerve right as best as I could, but I don't think I moved much giving my speed and how close the bear was. I managed to dodged a black bear with about less than a foot of clearance from its face and my left hand guard. My hi-beam lit up its face for a split second. I continued to ride off with a bunch of inappropriate words coming out of my helmet.

I thought about pulling over to call the nearest state trooper to report a bear on the road, but I didn't. I still regret it. I didn't know what else was in the area and if it was even safe to pull over and try to call them.

It's not much of a story, but I thought I'd share.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Whoa, I can imagine that raised your heart rate a few notches. Glad it was a "nearly" event rather than a full contact event.

After dark riding in central Maine is something I try to avoid. Haven't seen a bear in years but we do have lots of deer and moose. Lucky me - it's been two years since I last hit a moose. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
...I thought about pulling over to call the nearest state trooper to report a bear on the road, but I didn't. I still regret it. I didn't know what else was in the area and if it was even safe to pull over and try to call them....
I don't think there's much reason to consider calling UNLESS Mr Bear is still lying on the road after being hit. Mostly - he'd be LONG GONE when the troopers got there.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I almost ran over a mama bear and two cubs earlier this summer, in my isuzu amigo. That was scary enough for me, can't imagine being on a bike.

It was interesting chasing them down the roadway while I tried to slow and stop/avoid them. They took a hard right at the last minute, which probably helped at least one of the little tykes.

The very next day, I cleaned and polished my amigo headlights, and increased the range by about 50% :D

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
glad you missed it . my buddy hit a duck at 70mph on his rebel and totaled it and got ****ed up

·
Premium Member
16,108 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think there's much reason to consider calling UNLESS Mr Bear is still lying on the road after being hit. Mostly - he'd be LONG GONE when the troopers got there.
I agree with you. At the time of the occurrence, I was only thinking of another drivers' safety.

glad you missed it . my buddy hit a duck at 70mph on his rebel and totaled it and got ****ed up
I hope he's doing well.

I have no idea why but I thought you were talking about a hairy woman in the title. :)
Female big foot. :eek:

I almost ran over a mama bear and two cubs earlier this summer, in my isuzu amigo. That was scary enough for me, can't imagine being on a bike.

It was interesting chasing them down the roadway while I tried to slow and stop/avoid them. They took a hard right at the last minute, which probably helped at least one of the little tykes.

The very next day, I cleaned and polished my amigo headlights, and increased the range by about 50% :D
Installing fog lights is my next project. I think I need to push that project into a higher priority now.

·
Premium Member
16,108 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,108 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
16,108 Posts
I am looking into SW-Motech's crash bar for the Versys. I guess I'll look into both setups at the same time.

How were you valves at 15,000 miles? I just past my due interval.

They were fine. If i had to do over i would have waited till 30,000 miles

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They were fine. If i had to do over i would have waited till 30,000 miles
That is my current plan. I've been reading around and a lot of owners checking at 15,000 miles resulted in valves still within specs. I've done numerous adjustments before on a Ninja 250, but it's so time consuming. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
136 Posts
That is my current plan. I've been reading around and a lot of owners checking at 15,000 miles resulted in valves still within specs.
A lot of owners may have still been in spec. But there are also a lot that were not.
I had several out of spec at 15,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
A lot of owners may have still been in spec. But there are also a lot that were not.
I had several out of spec at 15,000 miles.
I "did" the valves on my '09 at 10,888 kms (6751 miles). ALL four exhaust valves were at .009" (against .0087 to .0122), while the intakes were at .007 or .006 (three of 'em at .006 - against .0059 to .0083), which makes them all toward the 'tight' end of the spectrum, within the correct range, but I set them up to the 'loose' end.

When I 'did' them again at 39,440 kms, I did them in "metric". They had ALL tightened up slightly (exhausts at .275 to .295mm vs range of .22 to .31mm) while the intakes were .195 to .205 against .15 to .21mm), so-o-o...

did I REALLY need to do them at 10,888 kms for the first check...? Look at my figures, and draw your own conclusions....

:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts