Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my first long ride on the Versys. Calgary to Westlock (about 1 hour north of Edmonton which is about 400km one way. Took the QEII to Leduc and then over through Devon.

Here is a shot of the V with a poor mans soft luggage consisting of a SportChek bag strapped to seat.

Thinks I learned about the riding the Versys on highway:
-Bike will cruise at pretty well any speed you care to go. Speed limit is 110k/h so I started out cruising at about 115 but by the end I was up to 125-130. That is 5500-6000 rpm which is very smooth for this motor.
-Took it up to 160k/h just to say I did it. It would go much faster.
-You don't want to ride behind Semis due to wind buffeting. I tried to see how close you would have to ride to get into a smooth pocket of air but it was too close for my comfort.
-Comfort-wise the seat was bearable for up to an hour at a time. I made a point of stopping at least every hour just get off the bike, stretch, have a drink of water. Also you have to stop at all Tim Hortons right.
-I am very please with the bike. It never missed a beat. Oil level is the same as when I left too.

Next time I might take highway 22 through Sundre, Rockmountain House, Drayton valley for a slower, more scenic ride.

Brian

·
Registered
107 Posts
Shot must be "pre-ride"....Bike is still clean.
Not sure if you're aware but the V's speedo is off by anywhere up to 13kms/hr. So, you may not have reached 160km/hr...yet.
Get a gps, it should give you a more realistic speed reading. I was shocked/p'd off when I found out. Kawi says it's acceptable (according to my local dealer.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shot must be "pre-ride"....Bike is still clean.
Not sure if you're aware but the V's speedo is off by anywhere up to 13kms/hr. So, you may not have reached 160km/hr...yet.
Get a gps, it should give you a more realistic speed reading. I was shocked/p'd off when I found out. Kawi says it's acceptable (according to my local dealer.)
Yeah, I know about the speedo error. I have changed to 44 rear sprocket so error is only 2 or 3 k/h @ 110 k/has observed on my GPS.

Brian

·
Registered
371 Posts
Looks good and glad you made it safe and sound on the Que II .... we should get a central alberta ride going one day so all the local V ers can meet & greet .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looks good and glad you made it safe and sound on the Que II .... we should get a central alberta ride going one day so all the local V ers can meet & greet .
Hey Oxman, I figured this thread would catch your eye. I was lucky to be able to go in the middle of the week so the traffic wasn't too bad on the QEII. I have to go back to work next week so it will be strictly weekends after that.

There is only about 3 or 4 places in that whole stretch that changes direction...I guess you could call them Alberta twisties.

I would definately be up for some kind of group V ride:right:. Maybe we could meet in Red Deer...it's pretty central. Maybe we could ride west to Rocky Mountain House (Rotten Monkey House) and back or something.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Back in '03 when I had a Bandit 1200S that I bought in Edmonton, I'd promised the dealer I'd get the first service done at his shop for the GREAT price he'd given me. I was on the way north (from near Calgary) using various cars as "blocks" - I'd stay back about 1/4 mile matching their speed hoping they'd be the one the cops would spot, and my block had just left the QE2 near Ponoka when I saw something white coming up FAST. Thinking it was an RCMP cruiser I was gearing down so I wouldn't show brake-lights, when a Cadillac went shooting by. Took me a minute before I realized that he might turn into the BEST block I'd ever get, so I rolled into the throttle to match his speed, and it was 180 kms/hour (about 112 mph!). :thumb:

I stayed back about 1/4 mile and matched his speed for probably 40 to 45 minutes till we got into traffic around Ellerslie, and I got close enough to see that the Caddy was an Enterprise rental! :yeahsmile:

THAT ride was a real rush! :clap:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back in '03 when I had a Bandit 1200S that I bought in Edmonton, I'd promised the dealer I'd get the first service done at his shop for the GREAT price he'd given me. I was on the way north (from near Calgary) using various cars as "blocks" - I'd stay back about 1/4 mile matching their speed hoping they'd be the one the cops would spot, and my block had just left the QE2 near Ponoka when I saw something white coming up FAST. Thinking it was an RCMP cruiser I was gearing down so I wouldn't show brake-lights, when a Cadillac went shooting by. Took me a minute before I realized that he might turn into the BEST block I'd ever get, so I rolled into the throttle to match his speed, and it was 180 kms/hour (about 112 mph!). :thumb:

I stayed back about 1/4 mile and matched his speed for probably 40 to 45 minutes till we got into traffic around Ellerslie, and I got close enough to see that the Caddy was an Enterprise rental! :yeahsmile:

THAT ride was a real rush! :clap:
Yikes...great story. My neighbour was always telling me I should buy a Bandit 1200 when I bought the Versys. I think he was a little disappointed. He says that oil/air cooled 1200 motor is really excellent. He is a former racer and quite knowledgable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The QE2 can be a little scary at times. Every now and then I'll take the 2A between Edmonton and Red Deer as a nice alternative to the Death Race QE2. I remember when I first got my Katana and I was doing a "speed test" just south of Leduc on the QE2. I was doing 160 indicated, and a friggin' pimped out F-350 blew past me like I was standing still. Scared the $hit out of me. Nice for making quick time between Calgary and Edmonton, but not the most scenic or twisty road in the province.

-Whitey Jr

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
The QE2 can be a little scary at times. Every now and then I'll take the 2A between Edmonton and Red Deer as a nice alternative to the Death Race QE2....-Whitey Jr
Back when 2A was THE Calgary-Edmonton Trail, nearly every weekend there'd be a report of a fatal accident at the 'Morningside' Corner. I believe that's near Blackfalds and the golf course there (along the QE2). And then there's around Hobema....
Be careful! :goodluck:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from my first long ride on the Versys. Calgary to Westlock (about 1 hour north of Edmonton which is about 400km one way. Took the QEII to Leduc and then over through Devon.

Here is a shot of the V with a poor mans soft luggage consisting of a SportChek bag strapped to seat.

Thinks I learned about the riding the Versys on highway:
-Bike will cruise at pretty well any speed you care to go. Speed limit is 110k/h so I started out cruising at about 115 but by the end I was up to 125-130. That is 5500-6000 rpm which is very smooth for this motor.
-Took it up to 160k/h just to say I did it. It would go much faster.
-You don't want to ride behind Semis due to wind buffeting. I tried to see how close you would have to ride to get into a smooth pocket of air but it was too close for my comfort.
-Comfort-wise the seat was bearable for up to an hour at a time. I made a point of stopping at least every hour just get off the bike, stretch, have a drink of water. Also you have to stop at all Tim Hortons right.
-I am very please with the bike. It never missed a beat. Oil level is the same as when I left too.

Next time I might take highway 22 through Sundre, Rockmountain House, Drayton valley for a slower, more scenic ride.

Brian
Did the same ride this past weekend and would like to add that I find the top gear roll-on power to be very impressive. From 120-125 k/hr up to 140+ is very strong and quick. Makes passing very safe and easy.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts