Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced the 1-1/2" ID inlets with 1-7/8" ID (2-1/4" OD) reinforced rubber hose, grooved to fit snuggly in the airbox's stock rounded rectangular holes. I also heat insulated the portion over engine valve cover. I then covered the sides with black Gorilla tape to hide the white insulation foam tape and aluminum foil used for pipe insulation. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it sings a different song with any perceivable power gain.
I also smooth matched the rubber flanges' inlet to the throttle bodies, and the outlet to the intake port inlets, and I replaced the Hepco&Becker cross-member with a twisted aluminum piece (about a pound lighter) to collect instead of restrict air up front... Now I just have to smooth match the exhaust port outlets to my Muzzy header.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The airbox mod was definitely successful. :thumb: It sounds throatier and just slightly louder at WOT. There is a bit more power and I've gained about 8 Km/hr (5 mph) on top speed. The new inlets' ID do have 56% more surface area... I started with a full tank of gas and will note any fuel mileage improvement.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What kind of gas mileage are you getting after all the mods.: sub-throttle plates, exhaust, timing, airbox mod., etc.? In "normal" riding...

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have just done the airbox mod, so I have to wait and see if it's better still... I did get 62 mpg (imperial) / 52 miles per US gallon under various riding conditions, city and highway and gravel roads, on my last tank.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Notably less than I get on my wife's w/just the TBR slip-on, but not too bad. I'm trying to keep things simple, but that's sort of tempting. Keep us posted, please. At your leisure, of course.

Much obliged.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The easiest thing to do is cut a slit along the hose where it attaches to the nipple and the hose will release then with no problem. There is enough hose there so you just cut off that part that you slit. That's what I did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The easiest thing to do is cut a slit along the hose where it attaches to the nipple and the hose will release then with no problem. There is enough hose there so you just cut off that part that you slit. That's what I did.
Thanks for the tip! I just did that and the hose came off easily....

Steve

·
Registered
69 Posts
What about RAM air?? I would like to take that tube and extend it up past the radiator. I know that a Power Commander would be needed to adjust the air to fuel ratio. SO I pose RAM air let me know what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What about RAM air?? I would like to take that tube and extend it up past the radiator. I know that a Power Commander would be needed to adjust the air to fuel ratio. SO I pose RAM air let me know what everyone thinks.
Ram air would be good but, there isn't enough space between rad and frame for it... There would be no more need for a power commander. IAT and IAP sensors would read the difference and adjust accordingly. In fact, a stock V can benefit as much from a PCIII as a modded one, to correct the typically lean low end and progressively too rich top end.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What about running through the turn signal area I know that most people dont like to cut plastic but if I can find a fairing that I can cut to try it i will. I will post pictures its worth a try.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why not just pull the snorkels out and leave the lid empty? I did that on my Duc, and eventually just ditched the airbox cover all together.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How does that affect performance and the Velocity stacks are engineered to mix the air and fuel so Let me know what that did to your Ducatti and why would you do that to a awesome bike like that?

·
Registered
92 Posts
How does that affect performance and the Velocity stacks are engineered to mix the air and fuel so Let me know what that did to your Ducatti and why would you do that to a awesome bike like that?
These "velocity stacks" are before the filter, so there is no fuel mixing going on. Fuel comes in much later. These snorkels are mainly there for noise abatement, creating a disturbance in the airflow so that there is no "drone" from the intake. You could just remove them and then the only limiting factor for intake volume is the size of the holes they were in. So removing the cover that contains those holes exposes the entire filter element to fresh air, thus providing a great deal more air for the engine to inhale. However, you also create more sucking sound and hum from the intake, so there are tradeoffs.

It looks to me that you can't actually remove the lid on this intake, as it is more integral to the entire box. On my Duc, the filter is horizontal and a lid is placed on top of it with two small snorkels on it. Removing the whole shebang is the way to go. In fact, the Ducati Performance intake/computer/exhaust kit comes with a 1/4" wide retaining ring to hold the air filter on, eliminating the whole box top, snorkels and all.

So anyway, I think you ought to remove the snorkels and cut the material between the holes, creating one large hole for the air to enter the box. As it is, or as it has been modified here, you're still only getting a small portion of the air filter exposed to fresh air. Me, I'm quite happy with the bike as it is.

B-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts