Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody Installed one? if so what type and where to get one I think I'm gonna need one, lots of deers and dummies on the road where I lived :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
horns

I was thinking of getting a air horn but thought it might be too loud...I settled for a fiamm horn...it is like a car horn...u can get high or low tone..I am very happy with it...available at car parts stores for about $20..

·
Registered
76 Posts
wiring

I installed this horn about 4 months ago and love it. Get the wiring from Twisted Throttle too by giving them a call. It is loud but not too loud. Just don't blow the horn in your garage without covering your ears first.
When you called them, what did you ask for in terms of wiring?

I'm slowly transitioning to becoming a DIY hence the ignorant questions.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just put the Stebel Air horn on my bike and love it! Already had to use it once for a cage pulling out in front of me. I must admit it was kinda fun watching the guy jump.

I didn't get the wiring kit as I feel pretty confident in doing that myself. Twisted Throttle sells a specific wiring kit for the horn and the directions are really easy (I used their directions and bought my own wiring).

Responding to a previous post, I mounted the horn in the place of the original and it seems to work fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just put the Stebel Air horn on my bike and love it! Already had to use it once for a cage pulling out in front of me. I must admit it was kinda fun watching the guy jump.

I didn't get the wiring kit as I feel pretty confident in doing that myself. Twisted Throttle sells a specific wiring kit for the horn and the directions are really easy (I used their directions and bought my own wiring).

Responding to a previous post, I mounted the horn in the place of the original and it seems to work fine.
I take it you didn't need to buy any of the available and listed mounting kits? I just want to make sure when I order it that I have everything I need....

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Actually, to get full benefit of the horn's power, you do need to wire a relay in the circuit. The stock horn switch would not be able to handle the amperage needed to fully power the
Strebel horn. A power relay is required as included in the plug-n-play kit sold by twisted-wire. You are paying a hefty premium for their plug-n-play convenience. The 30A relay will set you back maybe $5. An inline fuse holder with fuse, $2. Wire, another $3.
Follow the schematic shown, and save yourself most of a $20 bill by doing the wiring yourself.

Red

·
Registered
76 Posts
Red... question

Did you have to take the cowlings or radiator cover off to replace the stock horn? I don't have a stand and was under there... don't think I'll be able to replace it with a Strebel unless bike is up on a stand and the radiator cover removed (which means the cowling has to come off too).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Docteric,

If I was to replace the stock horn with the Stebel, do I need to order any brackets or can I use the stock mounts? I'll wire in the relay, but I was wondering about the brackets.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Hey Docteric,

If I was to replace the stock horn with the Stebel, do I need to order any brackets or can I use the stock mounts? I'll wire in the relay, but I was wondering about the brackets.
I used the stock bracket with a bit of bending in a vise and a spacer or two. If you take off the left lower cowling, you'll uncover a hollow tube in the frame that makes an excellent place to hide the horn relay. Wrap around a couple times with electrical tape and it will fit nice and snug in there. Make sure you use plenty of dielectric grease on the connections to the horn as they will be exposed to the elements.

HONK!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
Someone on this list put his Stebel under one of the 'fairings' on the side of the gas tank, TOTALLY out of view, think it was the right side. :goodidea:
Ed :cheers:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Someone on this list put his Stebel under one of the 'fairings' on the side of the gas tank, TOTALLY out of view, think it was the right side. :goodidea:
Ed :cheers:
Yeah I saw that post... what was missing from the post was how it was mounted with the bolt. Can't just sit in there... bike vibrates too much (ooooh ahhhh).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys n Gals

I have fitted a Stebel Nautilus horn under the left fairing, here's some photos is anyones interested.

NOTE: I HAVE FITTED THE RELAY ON THE SIDE OF THE HORN.

MORE PHOTOS HERE:
http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/7503076

Yes its brilliant, Ive had it for a while now and its loud, well woth the effort to fit.

And you can find the wiring diagram here, Remember to order the relay the same time as your horn, it make life easier, WARNING DO NOT FIT THIS HORN WITHOUT A RELAY - ITS CALLED A HOT HORN BECAUSE IT DRAWS ITS POWER DIRECT FROM THE BATTERY i.e. in other words when you press your horn button it operated the relay which switches power direct from the battery to the horn, oh yeh also fit an inline fuse!!!!

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=45&topic=1965.msg18784;topicseen#msg18784

HOPE THIS HELPS - voooOOOM​

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wolo bad boy install

Well I did a install of a Wolo Bad Boy Horn. I put behind the left cowling as many have. I made up my own bracket also out of a piece metal I baught at Lowes. I just had to cut it to length and drill the bolt holes I also added a few spacers to get the fit I wanted.I used the Relay that came with it. I made my own wiring harness with 16 gauge wire and conectors and a 20 amp fuse wired directly to the battery as per the directions. I used Heat shrink tubing on all the conectors to give it a cleaner look and put some on the 2 wires from the original horn to keep them together for routing purposes. All in all Im pleased with the install and the horn is loud as :devil:. I have posted some pics below maybe will help somone else on their install of the badboy or a stebel.:thumb:. I took the photos with my cell phone camera so a couple of the pics are slightly blured.

Horn with bracket:

Relay wired, I just tucked it in behind the horn later.

Connections to exhisting horn switch wires.

This is the connection at the battery with fuse.

Well let me know what ya think...:thanx:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have dual Fiamm air horns that sound very similar to the Stebel.

They are loud, but I noticed in the few times that I needed to use them, that people looked around like crazy wondering what that noise is, while they were still happily moving over into my lane and space.

Perhaps it is because the sound is so unlike any car horn, that it takes the Brain Dead Cager a while to realize what the heck is happening.
I am seriously considering replacing the horns with much lower pitched ones, closer to the expected sound of a car or truck horn. ...Only louder. :D

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

They are loud, but I noticed in the few times that I needed to use them, that people looked around like crazy wondering what that noise is, while they were still happily moving over into my lane and space.

Perhaps it is because the sound is so unlike any car horn, that it takes the Brain Dead Cager a while to realize what the heck is happening.
I am seriously considering replacing the horns with much lower pitched ones, closer to the expected sound of a car or truck horn. ...Only louder. :D

The one I am selling is car like, only louder.:thumb:

·
Registered
739 Posts

Well, I replaced the Fiamms with a Stebel and I was wrong: The Stebel is quite unlike my old Fiamms, it sounds significantly lower and more like a car horn.

I'm a happy camper! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
FYI--the Wolo Bad Boy appears to be the same horn as the Stebel. Its looks identical and is made in the same country (Italy, if I remember correctly).

The Wolo is available at Harbor Freight and seems to be almost allways on sale for $35.00. It also comes with the needed relay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts