Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to send my V for its 6,000 km service. Should I change to a more reputable air filter (such as DNA or K&N) or just stay with the stock OEM filter? What's the performance enhancement of changing?

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
I changed to the BMC filter when i replaced my plugs. Not really impressed with the stock filter after getting a good look at it. Riders Discount had the best price.

Stock Filter.

IMG_0559 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
642 Posts
What's the performance enhancement of changing?
I think that the most you will likely get are opinions like weljo's. I doubt that anyone has had the bike on a dynamometer to quantify the difference between air filters.

While the OEM filter does seem to be wanting compared to the more substantial filters in my automobiles, it seems to be working for most Versys owners. Given the lack of quantified differences, I will be sticking with the OEM filter.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
How do you get to it? I looked in the manual and it said to take it to the dealer.
The first step would be to download the service manual (available as a sticky in the technical section of the forum), because you'll first have to learn how to remove the tank. I would suggest disconnecting the fuel line from the tank, since there's currently a thread running on the home page about how easy it is to break the fuel line on the pump, if the tank slips while doing what Weljo has illustrated.

Lord knows I understand the attraction of farkles, but IMO there's nothing wrong with the OEM filter. Just keep cleaning it. The manual says to replace the filter every couple of years but that seems unnecessary, unless it is damaged (again IMO). It's designed to be cleaned and reused.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was riding some really dusty gravel roads recently and it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean it. I know my KLR air filter gets nasty in those conditions in no time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts