Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
i love the DIY parts and the huge knowledge base of this forum :clap:
till now i made only the oil+filter change and chain maint`alone.
i am soon getting to 24KKM in my 09V
i read the spark plug DIY post , and its very clear with good pics
the one thing i am missing , is the "how to" clean the sponge air filter:
i know how to get it out , but regarding the cleaning, soap and water and let it dry?
is it ok to sqeezw it ?
should i use special oil\lubricant\foam ?
any guidance will be much appriciates :thumb:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thank you JDROCKS, can you please recomend any cleaning product that wouldnt harm the filter ?

·
Registered
642 Posts
The manual says

Periodic Maintenance Procedures
WARNING
Clean the element in a well-ventilated area, and make sure that there are no sparks or flame any- where near the working area. Because of the danger of highly flammable liquids, do not use gasoline or a low-flash point solvent to clean the element.

Clean the element in a bath of high-flash point solvent, and then dry it with compressed air or by shaking it.

I typically blot it dry and leave it out for several hours to dry completely. Then I put some 30-weight oil on it and re-install.

There are links on this forum that should lead you to the electronic version of the service manual.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Although it's a $75 part, buying a second air filter allows you to swap them without waiting for the filter element to dry after cleaning. Just rotate them in and out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Although it's a $75 part, buying a second air filter allows you to swap them without waiting for the filter element to dry after cleaning. Just rotate them in and out.
Wow. Costs must be really high up in the Great White North :(. I can get a new filter for $40:

:usa: 11029 ELEMENT-ASSY-AIR FILT 11029-0008 1 $39.47

·
Registered
687 Posts
Maybe I should have said about $75, but yeah, we pay a lot for parts here in Canada. We also pay significantly more for the bikes themselves. But don't lose sight of the forest for the trees: the stock filter is more than a piece of foam and, if cared for correctly, can last for the life of the bike. My point was that having a second filter (of whatever type) allows you to get back on the road more quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts