Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add an air compressor to my gear list for longer trips to actually make the tire plug kit useful in remote locations. I tried pumping the tire up with a small bicycle hand pump and that isn't an option, takes way too long.

So looking for the smallest unit that will work in a reasonable amout of time.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wally World sells one that if you rip all the plastic off it gets real tiny

I've had a Slime for many years that works great little bigger but gets hotter than hell

it will burn your hand

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Wally World sells one that if you rip all the plastic off it gets real tiny

I've had a Slime for many years that works great little bigger but gets hotter than hell

it will burn your hand
Why not rip the plastic off the Slime comp.?

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
I bought the Slime kit w/ a 12v pump, about $39 at Wal Mart. I hogged out those lateral pieces under the seat, filled the resulting holes w/ "Plumbers GOOP", and it fits there just fine.

·
Registered
499 Posts
We use the tiny Slime pump. I think it was $10 at Wal-Mart. We got the regular one for the car and the tiny one for the bikes. We've used it a few times out on the road and it works great with the Powerlet installed on my bike.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Heres something to take a look at. I have a little bike pump as a back-up but I would not go with the CO2 inflation systems alone. If your going to be any distance off the grid and you use the CO2 system and for some reason you need to redo the repair or say discover a new hole your screwed. Well unless your carrying a bunch of CO2 then at that point you may as well just spring for the compressor.

http://www.aerostich.com/prevent-or-repair/tire-repair/tire-repair-kits/aerostich-compact-tire-repair-kit-with-mini-compressor.html

·
Registered
499 Posts
Here's the Slime one we have:

http://www.slime.com/product/911/Tire-Top-Off-(40020).html

It's really small. Like all pumps I've used the gauge is not the greatest, but we always carry a pressure gauge as well.

We also use the Pocket Tire Plugger - For All Tubeless Tires from the Stop & Go link above. We've used that once too and it worked very well.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Thanks everyone! I have been meaning to add a compressor to my tools in my topcase. You have given me some good ideas.

:cheers:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback.

The one that works off the engine looked pretty interesting, but I've never seen the Versys Spark plugs yet so I can't imagine they are easily to get at.

I was looking at the HF one and the small Slime one at Wally World. Just didn't think they would work.

I like the under seat storage idea, but my space is filled up with my tools. No room for a compressor or a Glock.

Mike

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Pulling off the plastic does make your compressor smaller but be advised that every air compressor gets HOT. You can't change physics: compressing a gas gives off heat. My bike compressor is a Sparrow AirMan and I've left the plastic on because the compressor is not much smaller without it and it means I can handle the compressor as it's operating.

No worries pulling the plastic off your compressor, just remember it gets HOT.

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

The one that works off the engine looked pretty interesting, but I've never seen the Versys Spark plugs yet so I can't imagine they are easily to get at.

I was looking at the HF one and the small Slime one at Wally World. Just didn't think they would work.

I like the under seat storage idea, but my space is filled up with my tools. No room for a compressor or a Glock.

Mike
I was considering this one too untell it dawned on me that Id have to pull the fairings and the tank to use the thing not to mention that the plug is about 3.5 to 4 inches down into the cylinders.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Buy the small Slime pump at Wally World and pray you don't have to use it.

It's inexpensive, relatively small, has all the hookups necessary and while slow to inflate, it gets the job done.

I've used mine on the side of the road.....glad I had it!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'll add my vote for co2 cartridges. Small and lo-tech, can be purchased at any bicycle shop. I carry half a dozen in a little zip-lock container.

My brother caught a nail in his back tire last summer (while he was passing a semi - pretty scary actually). We used the co2 to locate the puncture. It puts a lot of gas in very quickly. Plugged the tire and then he got out his pump to refill. Ten minutes later, with traffic blowing past us, it was finally full. I guess there was no hurry but hunkered down on the side of a busy highway wasn't a lot of fun. I think he needed the time to have a smoke and calm his nerves.:eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts