Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I have my air box off the bike I decided to take it apart due to the inside of the air intake side was quite dirty. This is from riding on less than well maintained dirt/gravel roads here in Alaska. I only have 6K miles on the bike and the air filter was pretty clogged/dirty to say the least. Luckily it is washable and reusable :thumb:
My question is: Has anyone thought about putting a pre filter type screen over the air inlet holes in the bottom of the air box to stop debris and dirt from entering? I know from my Mudbog racing days up in Fairbanks we had fine mesh wraps that we placed over the air filters to keep the big mud and gunk off. What do you think? Will it restrict too much?
Something like this:

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filters/kn-drycharger-air-filter-wrap?kc=ffproduct&kpid=6223-3775533&k_clickid=63bae3c7-e17f-6ce9-322e-00003fa12f94&k_trackingid=274x&k_clickid=63bae3c7-e17f-6ce9-322e-00003fa12f94&productid=77212936808&kpid=6223-3775533&gclid=CNun9IvOxMMCFYY_aQodJRAAGQ

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I didn't explain my wishes properly. I'm not talking about a pre-filter on the actual air filter inside the air box. I wanted to put something over the intake holes on the outside of the air box.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think that Invader had a post where he had added larger air tubes on his air box, if you did that and added the pre filter screens then air flow should not be a problem
I may try to copy cat you with this mod, my last filter cleaning i found a lot of bug`s in the air box

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Maybe I didn't explain my wishes properly. I'm not talking about a pre-filter on the actual air filter inside the air box. I wanted to put something over the intake holes on the outside of the air box.
If you want to add a pre-filter, it would help to have more pre-filter area than the area of the 2 intake "holes". If there is room, you may want to provide space between the pre-filter and the holes (spaced out an inch or so), so that you can have more pre-filter area. Since you do a lot of dirt road riding, remember to clean the pre-filter often. I don't think it would hurt performance at all. But, try it, and check your fuel mileage along the way. If it drops, it's time to clean the pre-filter. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
Check "jdrocks" threads - he's added 'pod' filters to those.

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts