Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered an EK mvxz chain. Right on the box EK reccomends a rivet type master link for street use. Yet it comes with a clip link????:dgi:

Oh well... I think im going to order a regular rivet link and one of the screw type links, just to try it out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can rivet the chain and then keep the clip in your tool bag in case the chain comes off in the boonies.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
Done properly the Rivet and the Clip are good if the chain is taken care of.
The clip gives some advantage over maintenance work.
If you are using a clip type master link make sure the closed end is pointed in the direction the chain travels.

:cheers:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I still had to press the side plate on. I thought it would be a loose fit like they were 20 years ago.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Keep an eye on it. When I got back from my 9-day trip a few weeks ago I noticed the clip had gone missing on my chain.:eek: Fortunately the plate had not budged and it was simply a matter of putting on another clip. I think rivet is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
Keep an eye on it. When I got back from my 9-day trip a few weeks ago I noticed the clip had gone missing on my chain.:eek: Fortunately the plate had not budged and it was simply a matter of putting on another clip. I think rivet is the way to go.
Clip has to placed closed end pointing chain direction of travel and yes rivet gives a better sure hold but has to done properly with the proper tools.

:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
When I use a 'clip-type' master link, I attach a loop of safety wire around the center. Haven't lost one since I started doing that many years ago. :goodluck:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts