Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take the V this morning as it wasn't blisteringly cold...The ride went fine until I got to work. I'm not as nimble as I use to be and with the top box on its difficult to swing my leg over the seat to get on and off. Well when I got off my boot dragged the seat at just the right angle and one of the hooks for the laces caught the seat and ripped a half inch chunk of the cover right out of the seat. :mad: I have the little missing piece

Any ideas on how to fix this. I don't think there are any places around that can fix it. I may call the Harley dealer in the area and see if they know anyone. I may just try and glue the patch back in place.

This is the first damage to the V hopefully the last. I go the seat used for $200 so at least I didn't pay the full $500...but still...:censored:pissed off...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duct Tape?:thumb:
If the bike was older I would do that but its only 3 and half months old....

I could just put the stock seat back on till I get it fixed...really did like the gel seat though.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This adds to the history of laces and motorcycles as not being a good combination. Hope there's an easy or inexpensive solution for ya. Sorry!

·
Registered
875 Posts
A decal of some appropriate material backed with some appropriate adhesive, that looks like you intended to put it there all along.

Or a round or oval piece of black vinyl tape.

Or for example Vinyl repair kit (repair shows).

Or fully or partially recover the seat.

I'd probably use a decal or piece of shaped vinyl tape for at least awhile or until I worked out a permanent repair.
Then after your psyche is mended with time you might not really give hoot, and not need to take it any further. IMHO

Decided to take the V this morning as it wasn't blisteringly cold...The ride went fine until I got to work. I'm not as nimble as I use to be and with the top box on its difficult to swing my leg over the seat to get on and off. Well when I got off my boot dragged the seat at just the right angle and one of the hooks for the laces caught the seat and ripped a half inch chunk of the cover right out of the seat. :mad: I have the little missing piece

Any ideas on how to fix this. I don't think there are any places around that can fix it. I may call the Harley dealer in the area and see if they know anyone. I may just try and glue the patch back in place.

This is the first damage to the V hopefully the last. I go the seat used for $200 so at least I didn't pay the full $500...but still...:censored:pissed off...

·
Registered
69 Posts
The passenger section is a separate piece of material from the main seat if I remember correctly. It should be very cheap to have a local upholstery place cover that section in new vinyl. You'll lose the "Versys" text and that white piping, but that looks kind of funny to my eyes anyway. Good luck.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The idea of replacing that passenger portion seems like a good one.
I was having a similar issue of dragging my boot on the seat after I mounted a rack and box. Added Speedy's Flatfoot and started mounting/dismounting "stirrup" style, using the left-side peg. Also replaced the pegs with C-14 pegs.

·
Registered
665 Posts
And I think if I was replacing that portion of the seat I'd go for something a bit more durable...like maybe leather.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
a bit of an update, I found an upholsterer in the area. showed him the seat and he felt it would be worth trying to repair rather than replace the whole piece. He gave me the name of a guy who does repairs for car dealers in the area. I talked to him and will be seeing him Monday, we'll see what he says. The upholsterer did say he could replace the panel if I wanted to go that route and could reasonable match the fabric. So I'm gonna see what the repair guy thinks first and go from there....repair will be about $25 to $50 cheaper than replacing the panel.

On a side note I was a amazed at how thin the vinyl material is. For a $500 seat you'd think it would be a little better quality.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had a similar issue with the 1000$ leather seats in my truck. I tried patches, the goop that is supposed to provide a seamless repair, all kinds of stuff. In the end I just got out a black piece of thread and stitched it closed. It looks okay imo, it's a daily driver 4x4, it needs some battle scars. Of course mine was a tear from a tool in my back pocket, I didn't tear a whole chunk out of it or anything. I'da imagine someone with skill could sew in a patch that looked good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That SUCKS. My gel seat is starting to rip on the corners closest to the tank. May upgrade to a corbin if the wife lets me.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is what the repair looked like...The guy did the best he could..

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
Now that it's fixed, I suggest you learn and use the "KLR shuffle" rather than swinging your leg over the rear of the seat:
- lift your right leg as high as you can pointed at the part where your *ss goes, and then 'shuffle' towards it till your foot is over. (I hold my leg with my right hand too.)
- failing that, learn to mount from the RIGHT side. Here's how. Right hand holding the front brake ON, right foot on the right 'peg holding the rear brake ON. Lean left to get your left hand onto the left grip as you swing your left leg over and onto the 'peg.

Your initial sense is that the bike will fall towards you onto its right side, but by shifting your weight left as you grasp the left grip you keep that from happening. :goodluck:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts