Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, looking to purchase a new helmet as my scorpion 1000 just simply too heavy and gives me headache after an hour of riding.

so i was looking at AFX fx-39 and wondering if somebody here has one? any thoughts reviews complaints? :feedback::thanx:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the Fly Trekker which is the same helmet under a different brand (but maybe different liner?). I am perfectly happy with it. Does it's job and it's held up well to the abuse I've given it over the past 2 years. It's not a great fit though for my Arai Profile shaped noggin as I get pressure points on my forehead. That's really only been an issue at freeway speeds and I mostly use it on the trails, so it's something I can live with. At freeway speeds the sun/branch visor can act as a sail and lift the whole helmet up, but this would probably be less of an issue if the fit was better for me.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I own one. Quality control is definatly lacking. The shield does not close tightly to the gasket at the bottom. There is a steady flow of air into your eyes even with the shield down.

I have removed the shield and now only use it with goggles for offroad and snowmobiles. I will never buy another AFX.

I saw another of these helmets at a dealer about a month ago and it had quit he same gap.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
The thing about dual sport helmets is they are a liability at highway speeds because of the very un aerodynamic visor/peak although it can be nice a low speeds. I love my Bell RS-1 and the 55% off deal at Riders Discount is a fantastic price for the normally $400 helmet if you don't mind the Hi Vis color scheme.

Check out the helmet reviews on www.webBikeWorld.com

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I've had one for a couple years, and I'm happy with it. Great large field of view. Reasonable light weight. I like the ratchet mechanism for the strap too. The visor is fine at all speeds, the only time it catches any wind is when there is a cross wind or you turn your head. The visor goes great thru the air forward, but catches a bit sideways, and that only happens at higher speeds.

No it is not the best helmet out there, but for the price it is a good helmet.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Here's an alternative that's light (carbon fiber) and easily switches from dual-sport configuration to street configuration. Plus, it has a flip-down sun visor and other features.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I am in the market for a dual sport helmet to beat around town on my Grom. Decisions.... Decisions....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
i picked up the FX-41ds I just wanted the added internal sun visor feature over the 39 -
i really like the helmet, my only real complaint is that it is a noisy helmet. there is actually less noise at 45-50mph with the clear visor up than down. That and it is more prone to fogging than my last helmet, but that can be remedied.

the external sun visor is a life saver when heading into the setting sun. and as long as i'm not bird watching while traveling at 70mpg i've never had the wind catch the visor and lift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got that helmet. Same problems as others have stated. The visor doesn't quite seal with the gasket at the bottom so expect the wind to funnel perfectly into your eyeballs. I found that if you kind of "smack" the windscreen, it seals better. I probably look like an even bigger fool riding down the road, smacking myself in the helmet but it works.

I took the visor off though as I'm just a poser. It comes with a screw driver to remove it and covers for where the visor connects and a plug for the top part of the helmet.

Also the wind noise is loud, but then again this is more an entry level helmet. It's like buying a Huffy from Walmart, you know it's not the best but it will still get the job done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts