Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know of an aftermarket shift lever? Probably due to breaking my left ankle as a kid, but I have to consciously twist my foot inward to reach the shift lever, it doesn't fall naturally to place, so I'm looking for one with a longer toe piece on it. Funny, I've been riding for decades and have owned a lot of bikes, but this is the first time it's been an issue.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I feel your pain - figuratively and literally. I pronate my left foot significantly (toes aim away from bike) and I have a bad left knee. It is the cheap way out, but this helped me. I bought some pipe, I believe it is 3/4 inch I.D. Cut a piece that I thought was a good extension of the shift lever. Put a little electrical tape around shift lever to make slipping the piece of pipe on snug. Then I used a couple strips of duct tape to wrap around the end of the pipe and back to the inside of the shift lever arm. Then I wrapped the extension with electrical tape. I get about 500 miles before I have to take off some of the tape and rewrap. I also got so that instead of rotating my foot all the way against the main part of the shift lever, I worked at just slipping enough of my boot under the end of the pipe to make the shift. I will go out to try to get a decent picture and post it a little later. Some of the others here may give you some tips for bending the lever outward also. Every little bit helps us with that left foot problem.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Here is a picture take from above. I think you could even put a little longer piece on then I did. Not sure at what point too much leverage would be exerted on the lever or play involved. The good news is you buy the pipe in like 6-8 foot sections, so you can experiment all you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, something to consider.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
I did notice the shift lever was too short and needed to be straightened out a bit... I simply cut mine and welded in a ~1/2" extension. I also replaced the tip with an MSR folding knurled aluminum tip while I was at it .

·
Registered
269 Posts
Anyone know of an aftermarket shift lever? Probably due to breaking my left ankle as a kid, but I have to consciously twist my foot inward to reach the shift lever, it doesn't fall naturally to place, so I'm looking for one with a longer toe piece on it. Funny, I've been riding for decades and have owned a lot of bikes, but this is the first time it's been an issue.
I have the same problem. I think due to my moto accident earlier this year. But I don't have as much of a problem on my other bike (Honda CBR250), so I think the Versys might have a kind-of a short lever. I was thinking about putting a piece of clear tubing over it to make it a little longer.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for the ideas folks. My failure to ever learn to weld is stupid, and Invader's fix just reinforces that. :^) Looks like there's no ready-made solution, so DIY'ing may be the only way. I've been riding for 30+ years and have owned and ridden many bikes, but this is the first bike that the shift lever was a problem for me. I looked at it more yesterday and the rubber pad is wearing heavily on the very end after only about 1500 miles, and my boot is taking a bearing because the shifter is missing the boot's shifter pad.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
That's another thing. I got rid of that stupid tip with thin-ribbed rubber boot, in favor of a knurled aluminum tip. :thumb: You could always remove shift lever and take it to a welder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts