Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at a couple of threads here and haven't quite gotten the answer I was looking for. I'm surrounded by suburban sprawl which means anywhere I ride I have to deal with suburban traffic. I'm invisible to a lot of drivers and would feel better if they heard me around them. I'm looking for a slip on that's not annoyingly loud but louder than the stock can(I can hear the chain, but not the bike). I'm not worried about weight, HP gains, etc. I'd just like for Stevie Wonder to know I'm there.

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts
Get A Stebel Nautilus Horn. The louder pipes on the versys aren't really that loud.

024 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've listened to the LV and Yoshi on youtube and the Yoshi seems a little louder. The LV sounds just about right, but thats coming thru my computer speakers.

weljo, isn't that a Yoshi?

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts
I've listened to the LV and Yoshi on youtube and the Yoshi seems a little louder. The LV sounds just about right, but thats coming thru my computer speakers.

weljo, isn't that a Yoshi?
Yes which its louder. Even louder with the DB Killer out but i put the DB killer back in because on longer rides the noise gave me a headache. I find the Stebel works best for me at getting some ones attention.

Mine with the DB Killer In.

Mine with the DB Killer Out.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I've looked at a couple of threads here and haven't quite gotten the answer I was looking for. I'm surrounded by suburban sprawl which means anywhere I ride I have to deal with suburban traffic. I'm invisible to a lot of drivers and would feel better if they heard me around them. I'm looking for a slip on that's not annoyingly loud but louder than the stock can(I can hear the chain, but not the bike). I'm not worried about weight, HP gains, etc. I'd just like for Stevie Wonder to know I'm there.
IMO loud gear (hi vis) makes a much bigger difference. There are studies that have shown you are 35% less likely to be involved in an accident with another vehicle with it. Loud pipes can't be heard in a car until the bike passes them and the have never been proven to have an effect safety wise. Most car/bike accidents are head on. Ask the average person what they think of Harley riders with loud pipes and they will tell you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I agree with TwoWheels. Hi-viz gear (and a loud horn) are, IMHO, much more effective than loud pipes. Loud pipes largely irritate vehicle drivers and contribute to their less-than-considerate attitude about motorcyclists in general. I also believe that loud pipes are less noticeable than a loud horn. A continuous loud sound tends to be unconsciously blocked out as a background noise whereas a sudden loud sound - a horn - usually causes a danger alert reaction in most people.

And I've always had diffficulty understanding why black is so popular for both motorcycles and rider gear. Stealth is great for fighter aircraft in a hostile environment but I don't think it's such a good idea for motorcyclists in a hostile environment, such as, oh let's see, a busy public road.

The problem, in my experience, is complicated by the perception that in America motorcycles are still considered toys rather than an accepted means of transportation as they tend to be in Europe. But that's just my experience based on eight years of riding in England and Germany and neighboring countries. For that I say, thanks USAF. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
Get A Stebel Nautilus Horn. The louder pipes on the versys aren't really that loud....
Yes on the Stebel Nautilus (or the Harbor Freight "WOLO Bad Boy" equivalent).

IMO loud gear (hi vis) makes a much bigger difference. There are studies that have shown you are 35% less likely to be involved in an accident with another vehicle with it. Loud pipes can't be heard in a car until the bike passes them and the have never been proven to have an effect safety wise. Most car/bike accidents are head on. Ask the average person what they think of Harley riders with loud pipes and they will tell you....
Ever notice how MANY vehicles do NOT pull over when an ambulance, fire-truck, etc, lights flashing and siren SCREAMING is coming up behind? They're NOT hearing the sirens over their stereo, iPhone, etc.

...THEN the 'cruiser' guys claim that loud pipes save lives.... Gimme a BREAK!

:huh:

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts
Heres a video i have splitting traffic. You can hear the cruisers pipe and my horn.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm digging that front fender, Cuff! Where can I get one?

Nice bike, weljo. It's almost identical to mine, right down to the horn.

I took my first ride to Dallas and I35E today. For those who don't know of it, we call it the freeway of death. Twice today someone faded over into my lane without looking. One was a guy busy talking on his phone with his elbow propped up on the door. A quick blast from my Nautilis horn got their attention, but I'm going to buy an aftermarket muffler anyway. I like my odd's better being a little pro-active.

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts

Nice bike, weljo. It's almost identical to mine, right down to the horn.

I took my first ride to Dallas and I35E today. For those who don't know of it, we call it the freeway of death. Twice today someone faded over into my lane without looking. One was a guy busy talking on his phone with his elbow propped up on the door. A quick blast from my Nautilis horn got their attention, but I'm going to buy an aftermarket muffler anyway. I like my odd's better being a little pro-active.
Where are you located? I'm from Ft.Worth. Always hated going to dallas. Here a saying you might hear from someone in Ft.Worth. "Ft.Worth Flush Your Toilets.Dallas Needs A Drink Of Water":D:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Watauga. Born and raised on the East side. Meadowbrook. Today was my first "leave the truck at home day".

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts
Watauga. Born and raised on the East side. Meadowbrook. Today was my first "leave the truck at home day".

North Side Ft.Worth. Went to Elder Middle School and North Side High School. Used to race motocross at Mosier Valley,Oak Hill,Lake Whitney,The Flying P and a few other tracks around the area.

·
Registered
575 Posts

QUOTE]

It's just the Acerbis Supermoto fender. Should be lots of threads with how to's.

BTW, if you guys ever get around N Davis Dr. and Lamar Blvd. in Arlington, give my Aunt and Uncle a honk for me would ya. :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will do, Cuff. I go by there quite often.

weljo, I rode all those tracks too. The last track I raced was Oakhill almost 2 years ago in a vintage race. I need to get off my ass and ride the over 50 class. I used to sneak in to MV when I was a kid back in the early 70's. I've got a Mosier Valley street sign in my garage. Swiped it when the track was in its death throws.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts