Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With adventure thick boots, it's inconvenient to shift gears (up) with stock gear lever. So I'm looking for an aftermarket one, which is slightly longer and, ideally, foldable so I won't bend/break it if I crash off road
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
jd, can you tell us which brand/model those are?
this subject comes up frequently, the Versys rider's boot doesn't fit the OEM shifter or brake, out of adjustment, wrong length, tiny ends, plus non-folding. OEM footrests are another frequent concern. i say fix the whole lot.

change the shifter by sourcing another steel shifter with a large folding end. could be a new cheap chineseum steel shifter with folding end, or could be a used shifter from another bike, don't care about make/model if it has the big folding end. i'm using junk shifters from the KLR650, and when i say junk, it means that the poor thing has been all bent up in a previous life, you don't care about that either because you're going to straighten it, then cut the end off.

Versys top, KLR bottom. cut the end off the Versys shifter, clamp on the straightened KLR shifter to determine the desired position and length, then mark and cut the end off the KLR. the levers are slightly different widths and this variance can be easily smoothed. add a small chamfer to both sides of both ends, line it up, and tack weld. re-mount the Versys assembly for a fit check, if ok, then pull it back off for final welding. obviously, you don't want to cut the KLR too short. if long, it's easy to shorten, but if short...you get the idea. the folding shifter end helps protect the left footrest bracket, known to be somewhat fragile.

do the shifter side, might as well fixed the brake side too. the very first time my boot slipped off the tiny OEM end also happened to be the last time. the bike went right in the shop for a much larger end, then back once again for a much larger folding end. there are probably new folding ends available in steel, but i've never looked, instead sourcing a small used folding footrest from a dirt bike, in this case a KLR250, right side only please, it has to folding the correct direction. again, the OEM end is cut off, as well as the mounting bracket for the footrest, making sure your leaving enough material for a proper weld. with the surfaces prepped for welding, make sure the folding end is correctly aligned XYZ to your satisfaction, then tack weld. re-mount for a fit check, if ok, weld.

KLR footrest with bracket removed, then fitted in place of the OEM end.

pavement, no pavement, the OEM footrests are a freakin' joke, they had to go. there are many options in making a swap, but i've always used billet SS Fastways, often found cheap in good used condition, either locally or online. i have never considered any chineseum swaps for footrests, the stakes are too high. the Fastways are somewhat model specific because various bikes used either a 10mm or 12mm pin diameter. the Versys brackets use 12mm. if you happen on a set of Fastways with 10mm inserts for the right price, the inserts can either be replaced with 12mm inserts, or carefully drill the 10s to 12mm, a close imperial equivalent is fine. half of my Fastways had the 12mm, the 10s got drilled. the Fastways have a camber adjustment and a small height adjustment, which is just the direction of the insert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts