Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I recently spoke to my Kawasaki dealer mechanic about getting an aftermarket slip on. There are a lot of them out there fo my 09 versys. My mechsnic asked me why I wanted to do that. I said I was looking for a little me punch from my bike. I am not trying to build a crotch rocket killer or anything, just looking for a bit more punch.my mechanic said that's about all you will get is a little..very little if any.he said it would not be worth the investment. My question is, those of you who have purchased slip on exhausts, did you see any noticable performance gains from it and was the cost justified? Thanks

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think most are trying to get away from an exhaust note of a honda lawn mower. :D

I doubt your butt-dyno will feel the 5% bump you may get.

Is it worth it? Absolutely.

Just don't get one that is stupid loud, they are extremely annoying.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My reason for getting an aftermarket slip-on was for the improved sound, not improved performance. I don't know if there is any actual increase in hp, as I've never had the bike on a dyno. It FEELS like the bike has a little more "pop". But in my mind, this is because the Versys just sounds so much COOLER :thumb:. The Arrow is not a screaming loud slip-on. I run mine with the baffle out, and it gives a "throaty", "poppy" sound. Good luck.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Id like more power too but a pipe alone ant going to get it done, plus I like that my bike is not loud, sounds sweet at around 7000rpm though.
better off putting your money into the suspension or a steering damper.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I've wrestled with both sides of the issue - stock or after-market - and still haven't come to a firm conclusion. Well, maybe I have and won't admit it. The 2008 Versys I bought had a Two Brothers carbon slip-on already installed, and the stock exhaust was in a box should I want to return to the factory set-up.

Although loud, I've kept the Two Brothers on and have made returning to stock less likely by installing a Two Brothers "Juice Box" fuel control module. Does it offer more power? I don't know because I've not ridden with the stock exhaust. I do know that the Juice Box has improved throttle response and engine performance noticeably - crisp response, no backfiring, etc.

My wife says, when riding along side on her bike, that the Two Brothers isn't expecially loud, and I guess that makes me feel a little better about what I believe is a loud exhaust note.

The Two Brothers exhaust is a very nice piece of work. Looks good on the bike and seems very well made. The carbon version is a ton lighter than the stock muffler, but it's expensive. It also tucks nicely beneath the frame which I like rather than those that stick out more.

There's my two cents for what it's worth. If there's a bottom line I suppose its "you get what you pay for - usually."

·
Registered
451 Posts
I bought my V stock. I added a two bros slip on and noticed a slight differance. Later I added a juice box and noticed a bit more. Then I added arrow headers and noticed a bit more.

Over all I know for a fact I have a bit more of a performace gain, If you look around you will see a dyno print out I did once. But the sound is amazing in my opinion, almost sounds like a ducati motogp bike I think. Note the clips where taken inside a car doing highway speeds.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Oh and did the cost justify? In my opinion, yes.

Slip-on 500 (carbon fiber)

Juice box 250

Headers 125

=

A nice little performance gain and a whole lot more fun and awsome sounding...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have the arrow slip on, cost under $250, and i know it doesn't actually improve performance, but it sounds much better. I like the way it sounds enough to hold the gear longer before upshifts, and that makes it feel like it performs better.

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
Bought mine for the looks and sound.... If i wanted a faster bike i would have bought something other than a 650 cc motorcycle..

IMG_0766 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0752 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
You're looking at 1 or 2 extra peak horsepower, and about 4 to 6 more than stock between about 5500 and 6500 rpm as noted on ER-6 dyno runs:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I got my two brothers pipe from a user on the forum who wanted to go back to stock, different stroke for different folks.

What I will tell you is:
the power curve changes ( i think it does provide slightly more power but it is def in a different way, it lets the engine free up and it seems to climb in the revs faster - thus making more power. I think very low rev torque is up as well.)

That whole arguement about whether loud exhausts save lives or not has been talked to death about, I think those who i have read talk about it are mainly outside of cities because what I will say for certain is that cars know that I am there way more often and now (since i have the slipon) pedestrians dont walk out in front of me all the time (only the REALLY stupid ones)

Granted with all the said, I would like to see someone invent a higher exhaust .... maybe run a pipe from the existing undercarriage to a muffler that is horizontal to the ground and would run under my seahorse case. (kinda like the Z1000 or the vstrom) that would at least lift the exhaust 5-7inches and help out in that whole "am i a going to smash my nice slipon when i go off this curb" fear.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hello all
My question is, those of you who have purchased slip on exhausts, did you see any noticable performance gains from it and was the cost justified? Thanks
The ONLY thing you will realize is a lighter wallet and possibly a slight loss in weight of the bike (but you wont really notice it because its so low). Slip on exhaust without tuning, most of the time hurt performance and rideability.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
531 Posts
I notice that the Akra and Devil are the only two pipes that get a 5 star rating.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought a used Jardine off a gent on this site. I purchased it mostly to make the bike louder while commuting the "corridor of hell" aka Tamiami Trail in and around Venice, Florida. It seemed to add a little mid range punch and certainly made my presence known to the fleets of crown vics cruising the roads there with little whisps of white/blue hair behind the steering wheels. Now that I'm back on the Oregon coast for a while I'm thinking of going back to my stock exhaust as traffic is much lighter and the need for "boisterous presence" is not as vital.....but the Jardine really does sound cool....especially with the insert thingy removed :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
my bike came with a yoshi slip on and PC5 installed by the previous owner. While i have never rode a stock to compare, another friend who did, tried mine and noted that the powerband comes much earlier with sufficient torque for a power wheelie without having to half-clutch it.

Whatever it is, i love the loudness that came with it, and i wouldn't hesitate to put one in (with tuning done) even if my bike comes stock.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My TBR didn't have to make the bike quicker because it made ME quicker. I find it's hard to go fast when your ride just inspires you to take a nap.

The stock pipe is the worst sounding machine i have ever ridden.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I actually kind of like the quieter stock sound. For the money an aftermarket shock and other suspension modes are a much better value.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts