Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi crew,
It happens 1 time a year for me! I was ripping the Pony Express Trail yesterday and around mile 89 I wanted to check out Tom's Canyon in the Deep Mountain Range when I hit a rock the size of a bowling ball and down I went hard. So I bent my bars, but broke nothing but my body. Need some advice on a good replacement bar. Anybody replace bars on 2015 yet?
:cheers:
Woodman

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Ack! Sorry you took such a fall.

What did you do for fuel planning? I heard from some guys on BMWs they went 360 something miles without fuel out there. I think they went from Tooele (or Fairfield) all the way to Wendover or Ely. They carried enough not to have to count on finding it anywhere.

Sometime this year I want to do the whole route from Fairfield out to the Nevada line, but I am concerned about fuel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I top it off in Stockton. It is about 110 or so from Faust to Ibapah which to Pony Express runs into (RT 1). I rode around 35 to 40 mph on the flats and was getting about 49 miles to the gallon. I had no worries that I would not be able to make Wendover with a full tank.
There is no place I know of for fuel out there. I made to Wendover with plenty left in the tank, but riding 90 mph on RT 93 burned a bunch up. I was in a lot of pain and wanted to just get back to SLC to recoup my body. I saw nobody out there till I got to Callao.
That is where my crash happen! I was in so much pain I could not lift my bike up alone so I walk the 1/2 mile out to the main road and flagged down the local framer on his XT350 which helped me lift it up. (lucky I was)
I will do that ride again anytime!! Awesome views and in the middle of nowhere is where I like to be!!

Came into the shop this morning and my front break has leak all out over floor on the side I hit so there is a new problem to try to fix before the weekend.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Bummer! Sorry to hear, but glad you weren't hurt worse! Sorry, no info to offer on handlebars.

Good luck and heal fast.
Rob in KC
'14 Versys 650

1 - 4 of 4 Posts