Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the cheap soft cases have done their job, got me through while I got outfitted on more important things like riding gear and helmet. But now it's time to install some hard cases. Do any of you have any recommendations? Basically I'm trying to do it where I get something that is waterproof and affordable. So far the cheapest I can find considering I need mounting brackets and cases is to either get the Kawasaki ones for $435, or it looks like I can do Shad brackets and Shad cases for about $410. Anything else out there that's good and cheaper than that?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
If you are planning on a lot of off road riding hard cases are not the way to go unless you are an expert rider. They can damage you quickly in a wreck.

What I did when choosing expensive hard cases was telling myself that these will go on whatever bike I replace this bike with. My GIVI V35 side cases were bought for my Ninja 650, moved to the Versys 650, and then moved to the FZ-07. I owned them for 10 years and 50,000 miles.

So, make your choice of bags based on what you really want them for, knowing that they can move to other bikes with a purchase of the correct mounting brackets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice, thanks! The versys will see 99% road miles, kept the k-pipe as the yard/trail bike :)

I think I will get a good name brand set for exactly the reason you listed, when I upgrade bikes all I'll need to do is get a new mounting bracket. Thinking the Shad 3P system is good, but need to look closer at the Givis too, that's the brand of my crash bars and they fit perfectly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like the Shad 23 cases and you can get them on a extremely large online retailers site right now for ~$308, cases and brackets.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Kappa is a good brand to check out. Givi low prices brand with nearly identical products. Use monolock mounting system.

Shad has some good products but pour reputation for support in U.S.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I went with the Shad side cases for a couple of reasons. 1st, they look like they were made for the bike, and they are quick attach/detach. 2nd, once mounted they are level with the rear passenger portion of the seat allowing you to carry extremely large loads across both the side cases and the seat. For instance I have the Givi top case for personal items, but if I go camping, I can pack all my camping gear in a large duffel and strap it across the back. 3rd, best value for the price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will say look for Kappa /Givi, Shad are beautiful desing of course, but the shape affect to have less space disponible.
too I will say for buy it look at seccond hand ones.

for example. on spain the support cost 120€, the givi 21 bags cost: 180€. so I find it at seccond hand: 50€ the support and 50€ the E21N bags.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I had many years of great use from a pair of E21 Givi cases. The updated model is the 22L. Great size, top loading, Givi high quality and probably the best bang for your buck at about $250 for the pair (plus brackets)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I went with the Shad side cases for a couple of reasons. 1st, they look like they were made for the bike, and they are quick attach/detach. 2nd, once mounted they are level with the rear passenger portion of the seat allowing you to carry extremely large loads across both the side cases and the seat. For instance I have the Givi top case for personal items, but if I go camping, I can pack all my camping gear in a large duffel and strap it across the back. 3rd, best value for the price.
Those do look good on that bike. If I were considering them I would have to look at how many different bikes they make brackets for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Those do look good on that bike. If I were considering them I would have to look at how many different bikes they make brackets for.
Thats a definite good idea, I didnt check to see what other bikes they made the mounting brackets for, before I purchased the Shads a couple of years ago. They didnt fit my Moto Guzzi Griso when I had it, and they dont make mounting brackets for the Can Am Ryker. I'm pretty good at making things work, or coming up with solutions, but the way the Shad cases are mounted, and are locked into the brackets, it would be difficult for me to try and replicate those pieces. For the Ryker, I took the semi rigid saddlebags that I originally purchased for the X-300, made some supports and put them on the Ryker Rally. I think they look better on the Ryker than they did on the X-300.

Originally on the X-300.

Now on the Ryker Rally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts