Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I'm new the forum because I'm looking at getting a Versys soon.

I am interested in everyone's opinion on this used bike that is up for sale and sees what people think of it. If it's worth it or not.

Concerns:
Possibly not taken very well care of
Broken front turn indicator I'm told is due to falling against the wall of a uhual during transportation
Exhaust looks nonstock or at least missing cover although the owner says it never been modified
No valve adjustment completed

I'm considering offering $2750 - $3000 considering there are no other issues that come up when I see it in person. But new rear tire, valve adjustment, & turn indicators will cost me $500 I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a quick reply on the exhaust, it appears that the cover / end of the muffler has fallen off. I believe that it is stock, as the seller says. However it's just missing that end part that curves around and gives the muffler a nicer shape.

Check out some google images and you'll see what I mean.

No biggie, I believe it's only cosmetic but another thing to keep in mind, and another point the seller can be called on to reduce the price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks OKAYYYYY. I think the accessories and the premium seat help the price, but man, can you do something about the turn signal BEFORE putting it up for sale? Just screams "I don't care". Daily commuter is great, as long as it's been taken care of. Does he have records of oil changes? Valve adjustments, spark plug replacements, brake fluid replacement should have been done long time ago. Push hard for $2800. She looks like she's been ridden more than she's been maintained.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insights!

You make a good point that the bike looks more ridden than maintained. I'll see if anything else pops up in the local market but maybe float the lower offer for this one if nothing pops up soon and this one is still up for sale.

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
I owned a 07 and can give you a few pointers. First as of I think 2016, Kawasaki has changed the valve shim check to something like 12,000 miles from 24,000. I did my 07 early at around 20,000 KM , I had tight valves, my 2015 Versys 650 I did at 11,000 KM and I had tight valves. That is the very most expensive service and expect to pay around $500 US minimum. The second hing I want to point out is the plastic, my 07 had stress cracks around the gas cap top mounting bolts ( area closer to the rider, and not the gas cap itself) this was a problem on some plastic manufactured,on the signal light area I had complete failure on two mounting points and fiber glassed / plastic weld a replacement mount. Here are three things I would want to know:
#1 when was the valve shim done and what are the specs after completing** not done or no proof, drop $1000
#2 inspect plastic for hairline cracks , have a close look at the broken signal light, OEM is close to $100 , ninja 650 will fit *Make sure the plastic has all the bolts intact and the plastic hasn't pulled through, particularly the ones below the signal lights anything cracked besides the light expect to pay $500
#3 what oil and filters used and when was the changes done, have a close look at the sprockets and chain, also look closely at the engine mounting bolts, several have had them come loose and break, there is a post on that, a simple fix was to add washers on foot brake side and loctite bolts.

There were some really good deals on this forum for used bikes but they go fast, most guys on this forum maintain their bikes, above and beyond.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @onewizard to address some of your concerns.

#1 Valve adjustment has never been completed.
#2 Won't know about the turn signal until I go for a look but things are pointing towards me not even giving this one a chance unless he drops price a lot. I figure if the indicator change was easy the owner should have done it.
#3 Not sure on the oil was used but from owner says every 7500 miles, from what I can tell this is spec but still seems little high for me. But seems like probably once every other year based on miles.

I'm only talking myself out of this bike so far with only a low low price making it worth it. But rather spend a little more and get a lower maintenance ride upon buying.

Quote from seller received via email: "Turn indicator is broke off when transporting bike in a uhaul....it fell against the wall. No valve adjustments have been performed. Oil changes were done per Kawasaki recs. After the initial every 7500 miles. Bike still runs cleanly but if I planned on keeping it I would have it tuned up right about now. Fun bike "

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
Have you looked at the For Sale on this forum, some really good bikes and some have been listed for months.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts