Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about taking a trip down to WV this summer and am looking for advice on where go and where to stay (camping).

I've been through the New River Gorge area on my way down south, but never stayed in that area. Looks very nice and I'm sure there's some great riding and I thought I saw quite a few signs for campgrounds.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thinking about taking a trip down to WV this summer and am looking for advice on where go and where to stay (camping).

I've been through the New River Gorge area on my way down south, but never stayed in that area. Looks very nice and I'm sure there's some great riding and I thought I saw quite a few signs for campgrounds.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

I've got more advice than I have time to type. PM me and we can talk on the phone. Or better yet, you can talk w/us in person. Log into this thread on ADVrider.com

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383143&page=297

and ride down w/others in your area.

·
Registered
409 Posts
This is far from comprehensive, but here's an article I wrote about some of my favorites in West Virginia. I wrote a longer version that appeared in Rider magazine, but that one's not available online, unfortunately.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
9 Posts
Motociclista's article is a great start! 33 and 250 are indeed curve-laden. Depending on how far south you'd like to go, Rt 39 is also top notch. Pretty much any road that crosses from VA into WV or vice versa, over the mountains, will rock. The Highland Scenic is worthwhile too but more open - starting at the Cranberry Glades, working North, then Snowshoe, Cass, etc. The whole Monongahela State Forest area is beautiful. Really nice camping beyond Whitmer heading to Spruce Knob, but its gravel roads. BTW, i froze my ass off on the Scenic Highway one August - freak cold snap, and I had my summer gear only. Ended up stopping at two outfitters to buy thermals, etc. It was all on sale, being August! Oh, and keep an eye out for gravel in the turns! Lots of stone hauling trucks up that way. Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts