Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to lift the rear of my Versys to remove a lowering link in the rear.

My plan is to use an automotive floor jack, with a piece of plywood between it and the muffler and basically balance the bike on it, the side stand and the front wheel. Note you cannot use a rear pit stand as you normally would to lift the rear as the swing arm needs to be unweighted.

Will this work without denting the muffler? Other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

My plan is to use an automotive floor jack, with a piece of plywood between it and the muffler and basically balance the bike on it, the side stand and the front wheel. Note you cannot use a rear pit stand as you normally would to lift the rear as the swing arm needs to be unweighted.

then I would use nylon straps and my engine hoist

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

That's how I did it just used tie downs from the ceiling to the handlebars to balance the bike. No dents in muffler

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
If you remove the silver piece of plastic above the foot pegs on both sides of the bike in the photo.There an hole that you can run a piece of heavy pipe or metal bar from to lift the bike.

IMG_0766 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I used a ATV jack with a piece of plywood and jacked up under the muffler to add my lowering thingy. I did have a spotter to make sure that I didn't dump it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you remove the silver piece of plastic above the foot pegs on both sides of the bike in the photo.There an hole that you can run a piece of heavy pipe or metal bar from to lift the bike.

IMG_0766 by weljo2001, on Flickr

this ^

Worked for me, to grease the swingarm pivot.
Long pipe, jack stands, some risers for the jack stands.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How about this...

Just put your floor jack on top of the rear tire and lift up at a frame cross member. That is assuming you just need the weight off the rear shock.

That is how I removed my shock.

·
Administrator
8,836 Posts

How I did it was remove the seat and used some nylon webbing through the cross frame, then lifted with a cable hoist attached to a overhead beam. Not everyone has this, several other methods, whatevr you use needs to hold about 200LBS.Two step ladders with a 2X4 across the top of the seat. The pipe through the frame as described earlier, using saw horses and blocking. For what you are doing, it would take more time to set up than to remove link.
I know some people have jacked up under the muffler, that is the lowest point on the bike, it slips off, game over.

So I have a third really simple solution, bike on side stand, use a jack under the passenger footpeg ( footbrake side), if you need height, block up the bottom of the jack, if you have a piece of rubber, would be good to put between the jack and footpeg. This method puts about 75 LBS force on the footpeg / jack.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I put jack stands under the foot pegs. This unloaded the swing arm, and made it easy to add a lowering link. On motowerk's is the instructions for installing, just reverse the order. It has you remove the rear peg frame work to get easy access.
To get the jacks under the pegs, easiest method I found was putting 2x4's under the rear wheel stand, raise bike on stand , put jacks under peg. lower rear wheel stand. Now rear wheel should be off the ground. Put a board under wheel so it touches, unbolt link. re-assemble the rear. Use the board to adjust tire / swing arm connection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts