Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'd like to share a product I really believe in. If you are like me, you like to have a GPS when you ride. They're not always needed, but I like to ride specific routes, like the backcountry discovery routes, where they are essential. All those who have a x300, know that there just isn't a whole lot of room on the bars, made even worse if you run a tank bag. Well, Adventure Tech made a mount that puts your GPS just over your instrument panel so you don't hardly have to take your eyes off the road. If you are looking for a way to run your GPS, I'd highly recommend this route.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i use my phone as my GPS but i have it mounted almost the same way.... good spot for it right in view , but not to in the way :) good write up

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It really doesn't just have to be just for a GPS, it'll work for cell phones too. Anything that uses a ram mount really. I've used GPS's mounted to the handlebars for years and that works fine, but it's usually at an angle that's hard to see because of the sun and it's pretty far from looking at the road. Just thought I'd share one of the few products that make life a little easier. I have my phone mounted on the bars too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My GPS has to be mounted in the middle of my field of view - anything else is distracting and often covers other instruments.
Have seen the Adventure Tech solution and like it - but there is a simpler route I'm takin: get a mounting ball with either a diamond-shaped foot w/2 holes or a bolt and mount it on the flat surface behind the windshield.
Actually right behind where the Adventure Tech mounts - GPS will end in allmost same position.
Cheaper and simpler way - but U have to sacrifice somthing: drilling one or two wholes ;o)

The Adventure Tech solution may have lead me to a solution on another idea I have (and I bet many others are tinkering with): a way to make the stock shield height adjustable.
At present I imagine perhaps a taller plate with either slits or more holes to mount the shield on, thus allowing the shield to be moved up to facilitate taller riders.
At about 6' with a 32" inseam, I feel that the shield could be 1-2-3" taller.
More about this project when spring hits town - right now we are at -1 degree C and slight snowfall....last Saturday we drove home from a ski trip to the Chech Replublik, had +12 degrees C from Prague and up way north of Berlin.
Ans as I have no garage - my toolshed is an open street......thus I'm awaiting spring for further experiments....hmmm: perhaps I should combine the two ideas: mounting the GPS ball to the adjustment plate ?
Saving my dear bike for two unneccesary holes ;o)

·
Registered
473 Posts
...hmmm: perhaps I should combine the two ideas: mounting the GPS ball to the adjustment plate ?
Saving my dear bike for two unneccesary holes ;o)
That's a great idea. Bend the top of the plate backwards so that it has a horizontal shelf when mounted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You can order up to 3 ram balls with his shelf. GPS, phone, and go pro. Bet if you ask him real nicely, he could fix you up with a cup holder on that bad boy, lol. :)

R

·
0 Posts
The Versys X300 has been a very fun bike to work on. I'm working on teh high front fender mount today after breaking through some mental blocks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same thing , just cut a small rectangle from a plastic cutting board (Lowes or Big Lots) , painted it black. Two sheet metal screws hold it above the instrument panel. Then two sheet metal screws to hold the Garmin ball mount. Needed to move the GPS further backward to accommodate the Madstad angle adjustment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip!

Hey guys, I'd like to share a product I really believe in. If you are like me, you like to have a GPS when you ride. They're not always needed, but I like to ride specific routes, like the backcountry discovery routes, where they are essential. All those who have a x300, know that there just isn't a whole lot of room on the bars, made even worse if you run a tank bag. Well, Adventure Tech made a mount that puts your GPS just over your instrument panel so you don't hardly have to take your eyes off the road. If you are looking for a way to run your GPS, I'd highly recommend this route.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts