Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been using heidenau k60 scout 150/70 rear and heidenau k73 120/70 front.

k60 seems aggressive but really isn't for most use. mud and steep hills don't play well with the continuous strip. So I'm considering the Mitas e-07, available in 150/70 too. What do you think? Any other 60/40 or close?

k73 is a disaster on steel bridges and striped concrete slap (anything with lines in the travel direction will catch in the k73 center gap and cause unsteady wobbling). But it's somewhat better than road tires on packed dirt. It does nothing for sand or mud obviously.

Now this is the problem, very limited choices on 17". I don't want the tkc80, it's too much; the mitas e-07 front would be perfect but not avail in 120/70/17 or close. The only option is 120/90 which is a full 1" higher profile not fitting the front.

What else is there to put on the front? Is raising the fender really the only option? What about the ABS sensor: is it going to panic with the larger diameter?

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
As far as running an OEM sized front - I'm quite happy running a Shinko E705 120/70, and have OVER 13,000 kms on it. It looks LESS than half worn. How's it work...?

I wrote a "dirt ride to the Douglas Ranch" in MEMBERS RIDES a couple of weeks back. Check it out.

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have been using heidenau k60 scout 150/70 Rear

&

Pirelli MT60R Front

Seem like a good ADV combo but the Pirelli is a softer rubber and wearing fairly quickly. The combo seems pretty loud to me on the highway as well. Like a wanna be Jimi Hendrix trying to make feedback beautiful and failing miserably!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
been using heidenau k60 scout 150/70 rear and heidenau k73 120/70 front.

k60 seems aggressive but really isn't for most use. mud and steep hills don't play well with the continuous strip. So I'm considering the Mitas e-07, available in 150/70 too. What do you think? Any other 60/40 or close?

k73 is a disaster on steel bridges and striped concrete slap (anything with lines in the travel direction will catch in the k73 center gap and cause unsteady wobbling). But it's somewhat better than road tires on packed dirt. It does nothing for sand or mud obviously.

Now this is the problem, very limited choices on 17". I don't want the tkc80, it's too much; the mitas e-07 front would be perfect but not avail in 120/70/17 or close. The only option is 120/90 which is a full 1" higher profile not fitting the front.

What else is there to put on the front? Is raising the fender really the only option? What about the ABS sensor: is it going to panic with the larger diameter?
Why do you say the TKC80 is too much? I've had one on my bike from DAY ONE (15K miles and counting) and will never run another tire. It's got great pavement manners wet or dry and aired down slightly performs very well in every other condition. I've NEVER felt it's been too much.

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
Why do you say the TKC80 is too much? I've had one on my bike from DAY ONE (15K miles and counting) and will never run another tire. It's got great pavement manners wet or dry and aired down slightly performs very well in every other condition. I've NEVER felt it's been too much.
I'd have to ask the same question as Jeff. I ran a TKC80 130/80 on the front of my '08, along w/ a Kenda BIG BLOCK rear 150/70 and got very good mileage and USE from them.

Here they are again, when I removed them to re-install Metzler Tourances, SAME sizes, at 6,289 miles.

Here's a pic of measuring the remaining tread on that rear Kenda, about 1/8" in the centers.

I got a TKC80 installed onto my '15 in Alaska, around 5,500 miles ago, and I'll remove it and re-install the Shinko E705 150/70 I removed before the AK ride, early next spring.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
What about the ABS sensor: is it going to panic with the larger diameter?
So, WHY NOT the TKC80?
It is available in stock 120 size, no worries. And besides I don't think the ABS sensor cares what size tire is on the rim since the sensor is attached to the disc. Tire size doesn't affect it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
besides I don't think the ABS sensor cares what size tire is on the rim since the sensor is attached to the disc. Tire size doesn't affect it.
abs sensor measures radial angles, sure, but it's the difference between the 2 wheel that is supposed to signal slip. Given a static calibration between a 160/60 and a 120/70, messing up the tire size would mess up this calibration. The hypothesis is that the calibration is not static but redone upon the first turns after ignition is on. But that is still an hypothesis. No one confirmed if changing tire diameter subject to the kawi abs controller causes issues.

(and I just dont want tkc80. not touring enough.)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
abs sensor measures radial angles, sure, but it's the difference between the 2 wheel that is supposed to signal slip. Given a static calibration between a 160/60 and a 120/70, messing up the tire size would mess up this calibration. The hypothesis is that the calibration is not static but redone upon the first turns after ignition is on. But that is still an hypothesis. No one confirmed if changing tire diameter subject to the kawi abs controller causes issues.

(and I just dont want tkc80. not touring enough.)
No idea about all that ABS radius angles and static calibration... sorry
As for the TKC80 choice, I thought you were looking for ADV tires, not touring tires? Ah well, to each his own. Good luck with your search and final decision. :smile2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
AlaskaJeff

are you running TKC80 front and rear ??

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
AlaskaJeff

are you running TKC80 front and rear ??
Nope, just the front. I've run a K60 Scout for about 8500 miles on the rear since the bike was new and now a Mitas E07 Dakar.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
One thing I will tell you IF you go with the E07 it develops a pretty noticeable hum(NO vibration) when going straight at anything above 50 MPH after about 4K miles of use. Not sure if it's because the center contact patch has worn down to a certain level or what. But I never noticed it until just recently.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Going from a shinko 705 front to tkc 80 with a anakee 3 rear. I'm finding the V3 650 alot more fun and easier on the gravel / forest service roads versus my super tenere.

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
Going from a shinko 705 front to tkc 80 with a anakee 3 rear. I'm finding the V3 650 alot more fun and easier on the gravel / forest service roads versus my super tenere.
OF COURSE - it weighs around a THOUSAND pounds LESS...!:wink2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Will the TKC 80 fit the gen 3 without raising the front fender?

·
Registered
73 Posts

why the anakee 3 on the rear?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts