Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a little over 15000 miles on stock chain and sprockets and all of the sudden I'm having to adjust every other day? This has just started happening? Is the drive train just going off and I need to plan on replacing soon or am I missing something? Sprockets look good with no hooked or missing teeth and the chain also looks fine.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yes, a chain that requires frequent adjustemnets is telling you to go buy a replacement. Depending on how/where you ride, you could stretch it for a couple more thousand miles, but the day it's beyond the service limits is coming sooner rather than later.

Gustavo

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just a thought- when tightening the chain make sure the adjuster is fully seated before locking down the locknut, usally a quick kick of the tire will do this. I have seen people adjust the chain and the bolt is not seated so even with the locknut tight the chain is able to loosen on it's own. The same thing happened to a friend of mine, he had this happen.
If not sorry for comment and get a new chain.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I found a kit from Driven Racing for 179.00. That’s steel sprockets and a chain. Looks like good stuff and they are used by ducati. Anybody know anything about them? Experience with their products? O yes the standard wear time for our stock drive train is 10 to 12 thousand miles so I'm over to 15000. Guess I did pretty good considering I carry about 200 pounds of gear everywhere with me for work.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is Alex de Angelis when he raced in the 250cc moto gp class. It was a warm-up lap (cold tires) at Philips Island in 2004. He got up and made the podium the power of youth. If that had been me I would still be in traction :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts