Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you have figured out chain slack while on a paddock or center stand? I lowered the rear with a speedy lowering block and The chain was TIGHT .So I adjusted it on the paddock stand and when I put it on the side stand and measure its about 1/4 inch tight, Another words 3/4 of a inch of slack rather then the recommended 1 inch. So was wondering if anyone has fiddled with this and figured out the correct slack while on paddock or center stand to have the correct 1 inch when on side stand. I know clear as mud.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Better to do it the way in the manual IMHO, on side stand with all slack taken out. By backing up in gear wheel on the ground. Swing arm loaded by the bike weight like a paddock stand. If youre a heavy guy it will load more when seated. Or even more loaded with passenger or gear. I err to the chain being looser than tighter, its a fluid scenario based on different variables for each rider and bike. I buy the best chains now and they dont seem to stretch, lets me know Im on the right track!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Better to do it the way in the manual IMHO, on side stand with all slack taken out. By backing up in gear wheel on the ground. Swing arm loaded by the bike weight like a paddock stand. If youre a heavy guy it will load more when seated. Or even more loaded with passenger or gear. I err to the chain being looser than tighter, its a fluid scenario based on different variables for each rider and bike. I buy the best chains now and they dont seem to stretch, lets me know Im on the right track!
As you described is that a measurement on top of chain above swing arm or bottom side under the swingarm? My owners manual does not say to put it in gear and roll back loading the chain,not that I found anyway.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I was wondering if any of you have figured out chain slack while on a paddock or center stand? I lowered the rear with a speedy lowering block and The chain was TIGHT .So I adjusted it on the paddock stand and when I put it on the side stand and measure its about 1/4 inch tight, Another words 3/4 of a inch of slack rather then the recommended 1 inch. So was wondering if anyone has fiddled with this and figured out the correct slack while on paddock or center stand to have the correct 1 inch when on side stand. I know clear as mud.
Do make sure that you check the chain slack in a few different places after rotating the tire, especially as the chain ages.

A bit on the loose end is better(and safer and potentially much cheaper) than a bit tight. DAMHIK, IJK. Found out the hard and expensive way on the KLR.

·
Registered
2013 v650
243 Posts
If you adjusted the chain on a stand and it was 1/4" tight then just make it 1/4" looser when it is on the stand. If you are in neutral the counter shaft sprocket will turn to put all of the slack on the side of the chain you are pushing on. On the side stand with the bike in gear this will not happen and you would have to roll the bike back to put slack in the bottom and forward to put slack in the top.

Do make sure that you check the chain slack in a few different places after rotating the tire, especially as the chain ages.

A bit on the loose end is better(and safer and potentially much cheaper) than a bit tight. DAMHIK, IJK. Found out the hard and expensive way on the KLR.
The difference in chain tension could be just a different position when you moved the bike to get it off the stand.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The difference in chain tension could be just a different position when you moved the bike to get it off the stand.
Yup, agreed. But it is still good practice to check the chain for "short spots".

I'm wondering, though. If the bike chain was checked while on a stand, wouldn't there be more slack when on the side stand as more weight is removed from the rear suspension and the swing arm would be deeper in the arc? The chain is tightest when the rear is squatting low, with more weight on it, correct?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Some riders have centre stands instead of side stands so I guess everyone has their own technique....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Some riders have centre stands instead of side stands so I guess everyone has their own technique....
I do have a center stand. I set the chain pretty much at maximum when on the stand and verify that it is OK when placed on the side stand.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I did , I set the tension on paddock stand and them checked it while on side stand.

·
Registered
2013 v650
243 Posts
I may be wrong but the chain is the tightest when the C/L of the sprockets and swing arm pivot point are in a straight line. As the suspension moves the rear wheel will move in an arc above and below center line and the total distance between the 2 sprockets will get shorter. Some engineer at the manufacture made the calculation for what slack you need unladen on the side stand to not make the chain too tight when all the points line up. The more weight you put on the bike the less slack you should have until you load it to the point that the rear wheel goes above that straight line.

Not having a center stand makes checking chain tension a pain. The first step should be to check it in several locations by rotating the wheel to find the tightest spot and use that spot to set the slack. This is also a check for a worn chain or sprockets. They never wear evenly.

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts
My V650s are 'standard height' - NOT lowered. On all THREE of them I have installed spools, and have 'paddock stands', and I have ALWAYS adjusted my chains ON the paddock stand to the 'slack' in the OWNERS MANUALS unless I'm on a long trip and it needs adjusting (on the side-stand).

When it's on the side-stand, the bike's weight is ON the stand, and when on a paddock stand - the weight is ON the stand also, thru the 'spools'.

In OVER 174,000 miles on those three Vs, I've NOT had any issues w/ my chains' 'slack'.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My service guy told me that you need to adjust chain slack while you sitting on motorbike.
Than will be ideal.
It is not same if you adjust chain on side stand (like in manual) and you have 70 kg, or you have 120 kg + 30 kg in panniers and top rack. (last time when i was on regular service I ask them can he adjust my chain slack, he ask do you ride alone or you have passenger, so ho know how to adjust chain slack)
I was adjustin chain on paddock stand, after adjusting i check chain slack while motorbike was on side stand, and there was very little difference +/- 2mm.
So my opinion is get motorbike on paddock stand, set chain slack on 30-35 mm and it is perfect ( perfect for me).

Reactions: foxpro

·
Registered
635 Posts
Im gonna try adjusting my chain on the paddock stand after reading everyones techiques. Easier on the body not having to get down so lo!

·
Registered
307 Posts
kardan, I think you're technically supposed to set your sag via the preload adjuster so that the bike does not squat more than necessary when you (and your passenger, luggage, etc) sit on it. That would be the equalizer for chain tension.

Granted, it's not described anywhere in the manual, nor is the desired sag, so it's still just a theory ;) But a rider that weighs 70kg and one that weights 120kg should, in principle, have the same stationary chain slack if the preload (or even spring rate) is set for their weight properly.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Im gonna try adjusting my chain on the paddock stand after reading everyones techiques. Easier on the body not having to get down so lo!
Yup! That's the smart way of doing it! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts