Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just completed a 4 day trip to the Adirondack region in northern NY state. Covered ~1200km total distance according the odometer on the Versys. Almost all winding, twisting back roads. Even got to ride through some severe thunderstorms from which I learned there is no such thing as completely water proof gear.

The highlight of the trip was climbing Whiteface mountain. You can ride right to the top on a winding ~10 mile road. When you almost reach the peak you park and enter a long tunnel in the side of the mountain. This takes you to a single elevator takes you the last 46 stories, through the mountain, to an observation area on top. Can't recommend this enough if you are in the Lake Placid area. The area is filled with 100s of miles of winding roads and great places to stop and sight see. We actually rented cabins in a camp ground in the next town over from Lake Placid. Lake Placid is definitely a place worth visiting and a great place to eat but expensive. It's kinda like the Aspen, Co of NY. I've never seen so many expensive cars in one place. The North Pole camp ground in Wilmington is where we camped. It even had a store that stocked 100 different varieties of beer although four days did not provide enough time to sample them all.

All I can say is the Versys performed flawlessly. It was fun to ride the back roads on but also all day comfortable unlike some of the sport tour bikes on the trip. I was on the bike for the full day, not including stops, for four days in a row without any significant discomfort. While maybe some very minor leg soreness, but standing on the pegs and stretching the legs cured that. This is a great touring bike. Stock seat caused no discomfort what so ever. I can't think of a better all rounder anywhere near the Versys price range.

I feel like I need to thank the guy that invented Cool Max. This is the first time I tried it on a long trip and it is fantastic as a base layer. Actually I used a cheap clone of the stuff from Marks Work Warehouse - long sleeve t-shirt and long johns. It is fantastic under a four season jacket and pants in what ever weather you encounter, hot or cold. It keeps you cool in 93F (when your moving) unlike cotton and if you get wet like I did, from driving through a rain storm without closing your jacket vents, it drys in under ten minutes, on your body, under the suit. There is no such thing as feeling damp or clammy in this stuff. It's all I will use for longer rides now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
That's a great area! I was stationed at Plattsburgh AFB back in the day and just loved the North Country. I used to bicycle a lot and one of my routes was to Lake Placid and back every now and then... About 110 miles round trip... and it always seemed like it was uphill both ways. Thanks for the pics and memories.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Good stuff! I was at that same spot overlooking Placid last summer, on a bike trip! Nice road to get to the top too!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I crossed Adirondacks last year with my wife and it was very nice...
I'll take your suggestions for this year for sure!!
I'm planning to go also to Washington Mountain, not too far away, you can take your bike to the summit, the highest in NE.highest peak in the Northeastern United States at 6,288 ft.

Thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I crossed Adirondacks last year with my wife and it was very nice...
I'll take your suggestions for this year for sure!!
I'm planning to go also to Washington Mountain, not too far away, you can take your bike to the summit, the highest in NE.highest peak in the Northeastern United States at 6,288 ft.

Thanks!
My dad goes up there every other year. Says it can get mad windy (100mph gusts) so stay safe!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Twowheels,
That sounds like a great trip. I took the Versys up Whiteface two years ago and loved it.
I hiked Whiteface and Esther (the next High Peak over) on Monday. All in all, I would say the road up is the way to go; I have more bug bites right now than I can ever remember. I hope you enjoyed our two state birds, the mosquito and the black fly.

Mike

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
did the Adirondack ride, with Whiteface peak on Versys.
433km, not a single rain drop :D
beautiful ride, perfect weather....
my printed GPS mount did a great job, I had no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I saw a Versys close to Lake Placid, parked, burnt orange ( I'm not sure about this color).
had a bungee cord net on the back seat. (i think..)
anybody here? WallCrawl??

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a 2011. I was in Placid a few times. I saw a green one in Old Forge not to long ago, gave a big wave, was that you?

·
Registered
379 Posts
did the Adirondack ride, with Whiteface peak on Versys.
433km, not a single rain drop :D
beautiful ride, perfect weather....
my printed GPS mount did a great job, I had no problem.
You've got a 3d printer?! *gets on hands and knees and starts worshipping*

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I did my riding today. I didn't see you, just a versus.
Yeap, I have a 3d printer, I already printed some cool stuff... My brackets for LEDs are also printed. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeap, I have a 3d printer, I already printed some cool stuff... My brackets for LEDs are also printed. :)
Have you considered going into business making aftermarket parts for the V? ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I did my riding today. I didn't see you, just a versus.
That's awesome. I'm working to become a machinist and was thinking of machining my own GPS bracket but I gotta find a 3d printer- lots faster lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts