Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I find you setup quite unsecure... and mufflerless!
Anyway, Geauxcrush's bike is way down on forks (no space).

I don't think anything will beat a 35" 2x4 under the crashbar. (perhaps a 35" 2x2...)
gosh, i hope that motor is "mufflerless", note that it's also headerless, it's kinda tough installing these motors if both of those are attached, extra effort required.

my photo was included to illustrate the use of the motor ID casting as a jack point with a scissor jack. the fact that the OP's bike is closer to the floor makes the solution better, not worse. jack it up, block it, we're talking about completing this task in a matter of minutes. contrary to speculation, blocking to the exhaust system doesn't hurt a thing.

i propose a simple settlement, you use your methodology, i'll use mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the help guys! I finally got the project done. I wound up getting some friends to help me lift it and get it back on the fork stand. Then, I used a jack and piece of wood to lift it high enough for the forks to dangle freely which made the installation easier. I don’t notice anything leaking and I took it for a test drive and all appears well. Is there anything else I can check? I also assume it’s not safe to ride without the front fender? Mine cracked when the bike fell.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Screw a couple of heavy duty hooks into your ceiling joists. Then use a pair of ratchet straps connected to the handle bars to lift the front wheel a couple of inches off the ground. This is super secure and gives you unfettered access to the front of the bike.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Screw a couple of heavy duty hooks into your ceiling joists. Then use a pair of ratchet straps connected to the handle bars to lift the front wheel a couple of inches off the ground. This is super secure and gives you unfettered access to the front of the bike.
What ceiling? It was outside (both pictures).
Otherwise that's the obvious choice (to me).

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't think you understand, there is absolutely no spring and therefore no force in the right fork to keep it erect and when a fork stand is put under both forks, the right fork will collapse when the axle is removed
I know there's no spring, and still mine has never tilted or fallen over :) Also a 2015.
I understand it this way - if you support the back with a spool stand, leaving the front wheel on the ground, the bike will be stable, it won't tilt. It would have, if it weren't for the back being kept up.

If you now lift the front and remove the axle, the bike still won't tilt due to being supported in the back. It would have been even better if there were springs in both fork legs, but it's not needed.

Or think of it this way - imagine your bike has a single-side fork tube like this thing:

Will it fall over after lifting the back with a paddock stand? Will it fall over once you remove the front wheel?

Now, the Mk3 may fall if the back isn't secure. I would be very hesitant if I were to just use those L-shaped swingarm jacks. The under-tree lift is the safest method. But spool stands are good enough, I've replaced my front wheel several times.

·
Registered
178 Posts
While changing my tire yesterday, the bike somehow slipped off of my front stand and the front fell on top of the tire (the axle was not inserted yet). This accident cracked my front fender, but I do not notice any other damage. Should I be worried about anything with the forks or front suspension since it abruptly fell? Also, the bike has been just resting on the rear stand and with the front forks on the ground. I can not figure out how to get it up and change the tire now that it’s off the stand. Is there any damage that might occur from the forks holding the weight of the front end on the ground?
LOL.

Sorry for laughing.

If it makes you feel better.. A long time ago I forgot to put
the stand down before i got off and let go of
my 1100 Katana:sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts
If it makes you feel better.. A long time ago I forgot to put the stand down before i got off and let go of my 1100 Katana:sneaky:
Been there, done THAT!

[On MANY bikes...!]

:cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Been there, done THAT!

[On MANY bikes...!]

:cool:
I did it once roughly 10 years ago as well, with my Gen1 ZX10R...
but that time I had deployed the stand only about 90%
of the way and it rolled forward off the stand in my driveway
about 2 feet from my front door at about 2:00am.
So I was the only one who witnessed it.

The episode with my Katana was witnessed by a motorcycle magazine
journalist and 4 other motorcyclists though... :poop:

Fortunately it was the early 80s and the world seemed far less serious back then.

·
Registered
36 Posts
While changing my tire yesterday, the bike somehow slipped off of my front stand and the front fell on top of the tire (the axle was not inserted yet). This accident cracked my front fender, but I do not notice any other damage. Should I be worried about anything with the forks or front suspension since it abruptly fell? Also, the bike has been just resting on the rear stand and with the front forks on the ground. I can not figure out how to get it up and change the tire now that it’s off the stand. Is there any damage that might occur from the forks holding the weight of the front end on the ground?
For front end lift, I use a shop crane from Harbor Freight. It requires removing the windscreen but will work on multiple bikes. I use it on my Versys 650. This type of lift which lifts from the top rather than from the axle will make axle removal and installation easier as it allows fork tubes to hang freely.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts