Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if most of you wire an accessory plug (BMW type) directly to the battery with a fused link, or use one of the open 10 or 15 amp fuses in the factory fuse block===if in the block is the 10 or 15 amp fuse recommended

thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I run all my additional electrics including my accessory plug through a fuzeblock that I installed as one of my first farkles...
Hi genehil,

where did you mount the FUZEBLOCK at?

what switched power lead did you use?

also, how hwavy of a wire did you run from the battery?

got any pics?

thank you :thanx:
The OldDustyOne

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would mount the fuse block under the fairing and run a 30 amp fused heavy wire from the battery to the block. You can run various circuits from the fuse block. Simple

·
Registered
235 Posts
The original owner of my bike mounted an uncovered, off-brand fuse block under the saddle. I don't think that's a good place to put it, because there's hardly any room to store anything under the saddle anymore, like a Ziploc baggie with registration and insurance documents.

I want to get a Fuzeblock, because the fuse block that I have is rusty. I hadn't thought of placing the new one under the fairing. Sounds like a good idea. Any recommendations for where, exactly, to put it?

The items from Fuzeblocks.com are covered, which is a good idea. Also, smearing all the electrical connections with dialectric grease.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi genehil,
also, how hwavy of a wire did you run from the battery?
got any pics?
The OldDustyOne
I mounted my Fuzeblock under the seat where the OEM tool kit goes.
I used velcro to secure so I can lift it out to work with it.
I used 8 or 10 gauge wire from battery to block.
I used the tail light circuit for my switched power connection.

The original owner of my bike mounted an uncovered, off-brand fuse block under the saddle. I don't think that's a good place to put it, because there's hardly any room to store anything under the saddle anymore, like a Ziploc baggie with registration and insurance documents.
I have my Happy Trail boxes permanently mounted and all my OEM tools and my enhanced tool kit are permanently in my right side box.

For my papers, I use a Stash Box from Twisted Throttle which is mounted under the license plate:

...and in it I use the smallest Coghlan's waterproof pouch that I picked up in a three-pack at Sports Authority. (The box IS NOT waterproof... No matter what TT says.)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
Hi genehil,

also, how heavy of a wire did you run from the battery?

got any pics?

The OldDustyOne
1. I mounted MINE under the seat (check the first pic for where); 2. I used the tailight; 3. I used 12 gauge; and 4. YES.

...I want to get a Fuzeblock, because the fuse block that I have is rusty. I hadn't thought of placing the new one under the fairing. Sounds like a good idea....
IF you put it there, think of what you'll have to do to change a fuse.... For me, UNDER the seat is preferable....:goodluck:

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Gene and Eddie,
Thank you both for the info and super pics.
Initially, I was thinking under the fairing, but under the seat is much better
when considering the weather. And now as both of you have mounted
under the seat, I think I too will place my unit there.

Longer wires, no problem, but to take half the bike apart for a simple
fuse change is a bit extreme.
And thanks to Eddie for showing off those nice, pretty powder blue zip-ties :yeahsmile:

Thanks again guys,
The OldDustyOne :thumb:

·
Registered
391 Posts
You don't actually need a separate fuse block. I have mine wired with a heavy wire with a 25amp inline fuse at the battery. This is wired to the cigarette/ power base at the dash. I have my Stebel horn wired through a relay under the fairing. The power feed to the relay is from the power plug base-- fused at the battery. The horn relay operating wires are the oe supply-- fused in the bike. If I want to run other relays the same applys. If I need another relay operating wire through a separate switch I will use an inline fuse holder under the fairing which can be easily accessed underneath, without fairing removal. Unless you are running lots of accessories, through separate switched circuits( having extra switches attached to your dash etc) there is no need for a fuse box, especially under te seat with all that extra wiring and relay power supplies running under the tank. My power cable to my phone has a fuse built in. Extra driving lights can be wired into the headlight circuit and wired like the horn. A switch is fitted to open/close the operating circuit. Keep things simple and wiring to a minimum.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
...And thanks to Eddie for showing off those nice, pretty powder blue zip-ties :yeahsmile:....
My FIRST two Alaska rides were w/ a friend who lived in Arkansas. He gave me those blue ties, so NOW my supply is running LOW...!

:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts