Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m having some odd trouble after swapping my stock sprocket to a 43 one in the rear.

So I took it in over the weekend to swap it, and I forgot to adjust the slack. Well the chain slipped coming out of the intersection when I swapped it, so I had to pull over (and remember to back the wheel out). So I fix the chain slack and all is well. Except, now the ABS light is on. (To be honest, I’m pretty sure it was on the whole time)

So the bike is fine now, but the rear ABS is disabled (skids when I rear brake indicating it doesn’t engage), the ABS light is on, and speeds at 90mph have way more vibration now then they used to. Not sure if that last bit is related, but it shakes more rhythmically at higher speeds then it used to.

Is this normal for 2016s model versys with ABS to do this? It’s either ABS systems don’t allow this, or the chain or sprocket is bent, which I highly doubt as they’re both brand new and either way hasn’t directly affected the ABS sensor.

Man I’m stumped. I don’t exactly want to pay the dealership to tell me to just keep the bike OEM, but if I can’t figure this out. Maybe I’m just dense, who knows.

Advice? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Sensor Failure??

That sensor and brake mounting is really tricky, plus there is a spacer, are you sure everything is together correctly? You may have damaged that sensor. Also did you align the chain using the marks on the swing arm or how did you did it? A thread in the How To under C for Chain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sensor and brake mounting is really tricky, plus there is a spacer, are you sure everything is together correctly? You may have damaged that sensor. Also did you align the chain using the marks on the swing arm or how did you did it? A thread in the How To under C for Chain.
I’m going to see if I missed a spacer. You mean like a really thin o spacer, right? Not like the giant machined spacer that fits on both the left and right sides of the rear wheel, right? Because I put those back on.

And gonna check the self diagnosis code in a bit, although I’m convinced it’s gonna say the rear ABS isn’t reading the ring correctly. Does misalignment really **** with the bike’s system that much!?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: So turns out I’ a colossal moron. Finally took her in the shop to look at it myself. Turns out I bent the rotor sensor (slotted disc that the rudimentary ABS system reads. Welp, it may or may not come riveted to the rear rotor, which means that I’d have to pay $100 for a new rotor. F-that!

I used a flathead and bent it back. Is it ghetto? Sure. Did the ABS light stay on? Nope! Huzzah!

Unfortunately it still vibrates at high speeds. I think I have too much chain slack with my new sprocket still? I still dunno. Gonna tighten it something more tomorrow and see if that fixes it. All it in, the shop costed me $35 to fix it. (thank god for DIY moto-garages in LA)

·
Super Moderator
19,436 Posts
...I think I have too much chain slack with my new sprocket still? I still dunno. Gonna tighten it something more tomorrow and see if that fixes it. All it in, the shop costed me $35 to fix it. (thank god for DIY moto-garages in LA)
Don't just "tighten it". Your OWNERS MANUAL gives you the CORRECT range of adjustment, and it's 25 - 35 mm, 1 to 1.4 inches, so MEASURE, then ADJUST THEN MEASURE AGAIN!

:goodluck:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts