Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Oh... I'm that case, I'd go ahead with the parts swap and add thread locker to each upon reassembly.

If you are anal retentive like me, you'll clean the bolt as you remove them, but it's not actually necessary. The factory threadlocker is the same GM started using a few years ago, and is fairly sticky.

·
Super Moderator
19,450 Posts
Oh... I'm that case, I'd go ahead with the parts swap and add thread locker to each upon reassembly.

If you are anal retentive like me, you'll clean the bolt as you remove them, but it's not actually necessary. The factory threadlocker is the same GM started using a few years ago, and is fairly sticky.
Just looked at the front wheel on my '15 V650. I would pay whatever it co$t$ to remove/ remount that front tire and then install the wheel CORRECTLY, rather than 'MUCK' w/ moving the 'tone-ring'...!

:goodluck:

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Front Rotor

thanx for the advice. that's what ill do.

@marc
In my earlier post I went out and looked at my 2015, be aware the rotors are identical , the mounting identical and the tone ring is mounted directly to the rotor . You are going to need to remove your wheel, but since you have explained the problem, I personally wouldn't hesitate to remove the rotors and switch sides.What I would do is look up the torque value and follow the installation advice of the manual. Be aware of a number of things, if thread locker was used and it is the blue version, you can reassemble dry and use the torque value in the manual. Personnally I would clean all the bolts and threads with my thread chaser dies and taps, then use fresh 242 blue loctite and use a 60% value of dry torque from the manual, FYI you do not want to overtorque and strip a thread, secondly if done properly with clean threads, using a coverage of 3 threads with the 242 , you could put that wheel on a paint can shaker for 10 years and the bolts would still be intact. I use 242 on almost everything, even 6 mm threads or 8/32 screws, the trick is to use it sparingly otherwise it is permanent ( I have used many forms of loctite for over 40 years in some of the harshest environments , crushing plants , screening plants, overhead cranes, places where something coming apart could kill someone )

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
239 Posts
OPPOSITE sides front and rear. LEFT side front, RIGHT side rear.

:goodluck:
I had this happen the day I took delivery of my bike! Wrong side!:surprise:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
@marc

In my earlier post I went out and looked at my 2015, be aware the rotors are identical , the mounting identical and the tone ring is mounted directly to the rotor . You are going to need to remove your wheel, but since you have explained the problem, I personally wouldn't hesitate to remove the rotors and switch sides.What I would do is look up the torque value and follow the installation advice of the manual. Be aware of a number of things, if thread locker was used and it is the blue version, you can reassemble dry and use the torque value in the manual. Personnally I would clean all the bolts and threads with my thread chaser dies and taps, then use fresh 242 blue loctite and use a 60% value of dry torque from the manual, FYI you do not want to overtorque and strip a thread, secondly if done properly with clean threads, using a coverage of 3 threads with the 242 , you could put that wheel on a paint can shaker for 10 years and the bolts would still be intact. I use 242 on almost everything, even 6 mm threads or 8/32 screws, the trick is to use it sparingly otherwise it is permanent ( I have used many forms of loctite for over 40 years in some of the harshest environments , crushing plants , screening plants, overhead cranes, places where something coming apart could kill someone )
X2

I finally looked at mine today, and it's 5 bolts per rotor. Easy-peasy. You don't have to switch sides, but why not? It'd be a good time to dress the rotor surfaces with some sand paper while you're at it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
thanx for evryone's advice. i took the tire off today and put everything back correctly, started it up and the abs light is still on. i didn't have time to ride it, so maybe the light goes out after you ride it down the road. going on a campout in n.e. washington tomorrow so i'll soon find out.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
thanx for evryone's advice. i took the tire off today and put everything back correctly, started it up and the abs light is still on. i didn't have time to ride it, so maybe the light goes out after you ride it down the road. going on a campout in n.e. washington tomorrow so i'll soon find out.
You must ride the bike at a speed if not less than 4 mph to allow the test to complete.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts