Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put new michelins on my 2014 and when i put the wheels back on the abs light is on and wont go off. i tried disconnecting the battery, that didn't work. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
First thing to check is that the collumator ring on the front wheel is on the correct side. That's the circle with the rectangular holes around it. The front ABS sensor uses it to sense wheel speed.

Next would be the wires going to the sensors. It isn't all that difficult to damage a sensor during a tire change.

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
First thing to check is that the collumator ring on the front wheel is on the correct side. That's the circle with the rectangular holes around it. The front ABS sensor uses it to sense wheel speed....
OPPOSITE sides front and rear. LEFT side front, RIGHT side rear.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I couldn't remember how it went. And I didn't want to say it was one way when the 650 might be different. Heh heh.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the advice, ill check it today. the bike seems to stop just as well as it ever did.

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
thanx for the advice, ill check it today. the bike seems to stop just as well as it ever did.
ABS systems are designed so that the "default" (FAILURE) position is just NORMAL brakes - non-ABS.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The wheel is easily installed backward. Fits either way.

The next question is whether or not the tire is now reversed. The tone ring can be installed on either side, I think.

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
The wheel is easily installed backward. Fits either way.

The next question is whether or not the tire is now reversed. The tone ring can be installed on either side, I think.
Good question on the tire rotation and I am still puzzle as to how one can install the tone ring in the wrong side. Most of the rings are pieced together to the hub. I am getting confused as I see too many trucks in our workshop and there in no way the ring can be wrongly installed.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It's attached to the wheel hub with 4 bolts. I believe there are mounting holes on both sides. Other than the ring , there are basically no differences left to right. Not at all like a truck, where everything is mounted only on the inside of the hub or wheel.

·
Premium Member
9,191 Posts
Brake Rotor

So I went out and looked, the collumator is attached to the brake rotor and no idea how you would remove it. If the tire rotation was correct , that is you mounted the tire on the rim in the wrong direction, the only out that I can see is to remove the rotors and swap left to right, or take the trie off the rim and mount correctly. Haven't heard from the OP if he just mounted the assembly wrong or if the tire was mounted wrong.

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
Good question on the tire rotation and I am still puzzle as to how one can install the tone ring in the wrong side....
BASICALLY you can't (w/out REALLY trying!!!) install the tone ring in the wrong side - but you CAN just install the wheel 'backwards'.

Look at YOUR front wheel - on the LEFT side, near the axle, you should see an arrow indicating the correct rotation direction. When I'm changing a front tire, I always mark THAT direction arrow onto the brake-disc w/ a felt marker, so I'm NOT likely to install it backwards, and it'll wear off as soon as I use the brakes.

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
BASICALLY you can't (w/out REALLY trying!!!) install the tone ring in the wrong side - but you CAN just install the wheel 'backwards'.

Look at YOUR front wheel - on the LEFT side, near the axle, you should see an arrow indicating the correct rotation direction. When I'm changing a front tire, I always mark THAT direction arrow onto the brake-disc w/ a felt marker, so I'm NOT likely to install it backwards, and it'll wear off as soon as I use the brakes.

That is basically my believe that you simply cant install the Tone Ring on the wrong side. Till I take a close at a bike with ABS, I will leave matter as they are. As 52 Degrees point out on the 4 threaded hole on both side, will need to verify that too as a manufacture would always incorporate fail save design so that parts are not install in the wrong side.
Thanks for the feedback.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That is basically my believe that you simply cant install the Tone Ring on the wrong side. Till I take a close at a bike with ABS, I will leave matter as they are. As 52 Degrees point out on the 4 threaded hole on both side, will need to verify that too as a manufacture would always incorporate fail save design so that parts are not install in the wrong side.

Thanks for the feedback.:thumb:
I'm not married to the idea that there are holes on both sides, I didn't actually check. I could just as easily be wrong. But that is the way I remember it.

Also, my experience is with a V1k, and none with a 650.

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
I'm not married to the idea that there are holes on both sides, I didn't actually check. I could just as easily be wrong. But that is the way I remember it.

Also, my experience is with a V1k, and none with a 650.
Noted and no worries Sir. I too have got no visual insight on the ABS of a versys as mine is not ABS.

All this discussion is about certainty of knowledge and nothing more. Thanks for you input which is highly appreciated.

Serve All. Love All.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
yes, i mounted the tire backwards and then put the wheel on so tire was rolling correctly. i hope to switch the rotors so i dont have to remount the tire.
You'll likely have better results remounting the tire. Every bolt on that wheel assembly has thread locker on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, thanx, i was afraid of that. i didnt want to because i have "ride on" tire balancer and sealant installed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts