Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...Can I up grade the versys 650 2013 brakes with the ABS brakes of the versus 2014 ???

·
Registered
601 Posts
I called Kawi about this recently. The question has come up a bunch. They essentially said you're better off buying a bike with ABS. The cost is that prohibitive. You need much more than just the brake parts, including a new ECU, new instrument cluster, maybe more. With enough money you can do anything, but the impression I got was that it would cost a few thousand dollars at the minimum.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Sounds very much like trying to add air conditioning to a late 1960s Jaguar E Type coupe. According to Jaguar, at the time, the first instruction was: "Bring a very big pile of money". Second instruction: "Completely disassemble vehicle."

It wasn't worth it, as is probably the case with your question. Just too much to replace to make it worthwhile. And even if you did, it wouldn't be a factory job.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you don't feel comfortable with the brakes you have, get another bike with brakes you have confidence in or do some of the other upgrades. The worse machine to have is the one you don't trust to do the job. If you ever have an incident related to stopping - you're going to have some regrets. I have a 2013 and feel totally confident of what my brakes can do in almost every situation, if I didn't - it would be disappointing to ride right?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a 2010 non-ABS and replaced it with a 2014 ABS bike...

You'd need:

- Wiring loom.
- ABS pump.
- All new brake hoses.
- Some brackets that hold the hoses in place, the ABS bike has lots of long hoses.
- ABS sensors.
- ABS encoders.
- Bracket to relocate the RR
- Bracket to hold the ABS pump
- Rear caliper carrier
- Left fork.
- Instrument cluster.

It really makes no sense when you can buy another one. Even considering the depreciation hit you'd take if you sold the '13, you're still ahead by going with a new '14 than converting the old bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts