Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I've had the bike since March (a 2009 Versys) and only have about 3500 miles on it and the front tire is almost shot. The rear tire seems to have a lot of tread left. I'm kinda OCD about the bike so I'm going to replace the tires as a set, but I was wondering why the front is wearing so quickly. I mostly do commuting, some spirited weekend riding (no knee dragging on the street here) and a yearly trip to Laguna from LA.

I have a feeling it has to do with suspension settings, as I've never "properly" set it up. I basically dialed in some extra preload from factory for my hefty 200ish lbs and played with the rebound damping until it felt good. Could my suspension be so outta whack that it's wearing the front tire out prematurely? I don't want to put a nice set of sport touring tires on there only to have the same problem in 6mos. I've attached some pics to help diagnose the problem. The last three pics are of the rear tire (to show the difference in wear). Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,108 Posts
What psi were you running in your tires?

·
Premium Member
16,108 Posts
When i got my 09. The service guy told me to run 36psi front and 36psi rear. Replaced my tires after 7500 miles because i didn't like the stock tires. The rear had lots of life left and the front hardly looked used at all. I drove highway city. Went from ft.worth texas to los angeles in may heavely loaded down and i weight 270lbs before gear.

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
16,108 Posts
Also the service guy told me not to touch the suspension until i put a 1000 miles on the bike.It was good advice at first seemed way to stiff. Now it something i don't even think about touching.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Do remember that front tyres (spelt properly) come with only about ~4.5 mm of tread to start off with, and the rears with ~6mm. So do not compare wear rates at the front with the back.

The front still looks OK / worn evenly due to as you say 'spirited driving' :thumb:

More info on Tyre Pressures - http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12278

Richard :)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Gitar be careful those stock tires can be a little slippery, and in the rain. :eek: They are kind of a chaulky tire. I am trying to wear them out so I can change mine also. Just watch those tires they are not the best!

Low air presure my wear a tire out, this is true. Turning the wheel with little or no forward movement will also wear the front tire. Example of that is parking it in a tight place where you have to turn the wheel back and forth. The faster you change the stock ones out the better! IMO :cheers::goodluck:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, the stockers suck! I want to get rid of them but I also don't want to wear out another front in 3500 miles. I think I need to put in some heavier forks to carry my 200lbs ass around...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Heavy braking also can cause more rapid tyre (sic) wear, as can abrasive road surfaces, but as Towerman said it doesn't look to me like the tyres are behaving unusually. Personally, I'd say your tyre pressures are spot on, as too much air can result in less grip. The main issue I had with the stockers was they were slow to warm up, so on shorter trips they could be a little sketchy. Over-inflating would exacerbate that problem. Good sport-touring rubber makes a huge difference on this bike. You're in for a treat when it's time.

·
Registered
764 Posts
suspension set up will have an effect. get it set up, should have been the first thig you did, dont listen to anyone that tells you to wait, get it done and recheck it after 1000 miles and just check it now and then.
Now go get New set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail:thumb:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi all.

I've had the bike since March (a 2009 Versys) and only have about 3500 miles on it and the front tire is almost shot.
Those tires look like they still have plenty of life in them. The only thing I see is it appears you may be babying the bike on right turns, and taking lefts at higher speed/lean. That's why the dirt patch is so off-center. Unless the handling is squirrely at speed, or you get headshake, I wouldn't say there's anything mechanically wrong with the front.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Those tires look like they still have plenty of life in them. The only thing I see is it appears you may be babying the bike on right turns, and taking lefts at higher speed/lean. That's why the dirt patch is so off-center. Unless the handling is squirrely at speed, or you get headshake, I wouldn't say there's anything mechanically wrong with the front.
I think the dirt is fresh just from pulling in, turning to the left and parking it. not do to his riding habits.:stickpoke:

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Your tire wear looks normal to me. As for changing out your OEM tires because they're crap... I took an advanced riding course in winter '08-'09 while still wearing the OEM Dunlops, and managed to drag footpegs at least 7 times in the following few months, so, to me they're good tires. (Of course, I don't ride in rain here in AZ, but in BC on the Green Hornet - still on OEMs - I do.)

BTW, I'm presently wearing Continental ContiMotions (which I quite like) on the '08, with Tourances waiting as the next set.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Do remember that front tyres (spelt properly) . . . .

More info on Tyre Pressures - http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12278

Richard :)
"Tyres - spelt properly." I love it! :thumb:

As George Bernard Shaw once stated, "The British and Americans are two nations separated by a common language." Or words to that effect. :D

And I wonder - is there a really difference between aluminum and aluminium? :confused:

Lest you believe I'm being unkind, my ancestors came to "The Colonies" from the Scottish village of Kirk Cowan, by way of the Isle of Man.

Oh yes. Long live Ewan McTeagle, poet lauriate of Scotland, author of the immortal poem "What's Twenty Quid to the Bloody Midlands Bank?" . ;)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have been happy with my Angels. When I had the installed the shop told to that I should run the rear at 42lbs and that seems to help them a lot.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I too am happy with my Angels - have added 10,000+ km and they are getting a little squared off but still lots of tread.

I will replace the rear partway through this summer (will buy at Western Powersport's 40% off sale at the start of the season) and expect the front will last x2 rears.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts