Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was pretty typical for winter around this part of Arizona - chilly (39F) overnight, w/ decent temps (69F) mid-afternoon under CLOUDLESS skies, so I decided to go for a ride, but WHERE? After some mental 'back-and-forth' Tortilla Flat came to mind, so THAT was my plan, leaving "noonish".

I 'suited-up', climbed onto the seat - my V650 already running - grips selected to MEDIUM heat, then remembered to plug my heated jacket liner IN, so I'd removed a glove, which I put near the gauges, and it PROMPTLY fell OFF there and onto the garage floor, but I WAS getting heat.

I pushed the side-stand out, then leaned over for the glove, and IMMEDIATELY got up-close-and-personal w/ my recycle garbage bin as BIG RED tumbled onto its side on the floor.

IMG_0580 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I reached the key, turning the engine OFF, then pushed myself out from UNDER, and got up. Luckily my neighbor saw my problem, hurrying over to help me get it back onto the wheels, the side-stand NOW ALL-THE-WAY extended (which it MUST NOT have been earlier... o_O). I looked the bike over to see IF I'd done any damage - found NONE - then got back ON, plugged IN, gloves ON, re-started and GENTLY rode away.

(BTW - that piece of cardboard is to keep my chain-lube from getting onto the floor.)

·
Super Moderator
19,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was under-way at noon, headed E, then N and W to the Old West Hwy in Apache Junction, to get onto the Apache Trail (AZ 88) for the ride E to Tortilla Flat, then past it to the end-of-the-paved-part (the dirt portion was closed after a fire last year along the "Trail" raised concerns about possible land-slides).

There's a restored 'ghost-town' called Goldfield a few miles E, plus an old movie set across 88 w/ a church that figured in an Elvis movie, w/ the Superstition Mountains as a 'back-drop'.

IMG_0582 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0583 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0585 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Lots of views of the Superstitions as you continue E....

IMG_0587 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0589 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0592 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

About 17 miles later the "town" of Tortilla Flat (permanent population of TWO!) comes into view.

IMG_0593 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

AZ 88 is closed about six miles E, so I stopped for my lunch-break just before the pavement ended.

IMG_0594 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0601 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

The road was re-paved a couple of years ago, so it's REALLY NICE, twisty as all-get-out!

IMG_0602 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0603 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0605 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Then after the next two pics it's time to turn S on Tomahawk Road, back to AZ 60, working my way home.

IMG_0607 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0609 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Arrived home after a three hour ride, 117 miles - time for a beer...! (y)(y)

IMG_0610 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

:cool:

·
Registered
Vx300
65 Posts
Very nice Eddie 👍 I want to ride with you. Glad you got out from under your bike without getting hurt, or breaking sh!t. Come on, you know better. Sending you a late Christmas present to mount to your bike.
0CAEB2D5-B259-4844-8788-BCB96ECCE102.png

·
Super Moderator
19,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad all was well after that garage high side. Awesome photos as usual!
My tendency would be to refer to that as a LOW-side (bike wasn't moving, AND it was a "LOW-POINT" of the ride!!!), but it was DEFINITELY an "OH $H!T" moment.... ;)

Sending you a late Christmas present to mount to your bike.
Remember the "Christmas Story" where the little boy wants a BB gun, but everyone says "YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!"...?

IF I'd had one of those things tied to BIG RED when I got "up-close-and-personal" w/ the garage floor - I MIGHT'VE POKED MY EYE OUT!... :unsure:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Yesterday was pretty typical for winter around this part of Arizona - chilly (39F) overnight, w/ decent temps (69F) mid-afternoon under CLOUDLESS skies, so I decided to go for a ride, but WHERE? After some mental 'back-and-forth' Tortilla Flat came to mind, so THAT was my plan, leaving "noonish".

I 'suited-up', climbed onto the seat - my V650 already running - grips selected to MEDIUM heat, then remembered to plug my heated jacket liner IN, so I'd removed a glove, which I put near the gauges, and it PROMPTLY fell OFF there and onto the garage floor, but I WAS getting heat.

I pushed the side-stand out, then leaned over for the glove, and IMMEDIATELY got up-close-and-personal w/ my recycle garbage bin as BIG RED tumbled onto its side on the floor.

I reached the key, turning the engine OFF, then pushed myself out from UNDER, and got up. Luckily my neighbor saw my problem, hurrying over to help me get it back onto the wheels, the side-stand NOW ALL-THE-WAY extended (which it MUST NOT have been earlier... o_O). I looked the bike over to see IF I'd done any damage - found NONE - then got back ON, plugged IN, gloves ON, re-started and GENTLY rode away.

(BTW - that piece of cardboard is to keep my chain-lube from getting onto the floor.)
Oh no! Glad both you and Big Red weren't damaged. I've been there and done that but haven't had to courage to announce it to the world - felt too silly to be able to admit my lack of attention.

I glanced at the photo before reading your words and initially thought Big Red had laid down "for a long winter's nap" to borrow a line from a Christmas poem. BTW, the underside of your bike is impressively clean!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have done that ride before on my old bike...but the traffic was horrible...didn't look that bad for you. When you get east of TF..it is really pretty.

I was hoping to do it again this year..and go all the way to Roosevelt lake. My old bike didnt do dirt roads well so I had to stop when the pavement ran out. But now have the V fitted with shinkos. Shoot maybe it will be open by Feb or March when I get there.

·
Super Moderator
19,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, the underside of your bike is impressively clean!
AND for NO apparent reason! I ONLY wash BIG RED when I get to the point that it EVEN bugs ME.... :cool:

Shoot maybe it will be open by Feb or March when I get there.
I SURELY hope so - it's just NOT the same when you ONLY ride the paved part.

(n)(n) :unsure:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great Photos Ed! I always enjoy them. I did the same 'driveway fall' a few years ago, thinking the kickstand was all the way down... it wasn't. Got to do a nice cartwheel rolling off the bike in the driveway, luckily no one saw it. Damaged pride, of course...

Looks like a nice trip - and looks like mid 70's for the next four days coming up!

·
Registered
7 Posts

The V looks for any opportunity to lie down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts