Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 40 years of riding under my belt, I decided to try something new and added something totally different to the stable. When these came out last year, I have to admit that I was intrigued a little. After doing a little research and reading about them online, I eventually put it in the back of my mind and moved on. Well, last week I went to the local Kawi dealer which is also a Can Am dealer, for some parts for the VX-300.

I saw the Can-Am Ryker Rally Edition sitting there on display and took a seat on it. I immediately liked its look and loved the ergonomics. The handlebars are adjustable and with the flip of a lever, you can slide them up or back by about 4", then flip the lever down to lock it in place. The foot pegs and brake pedal are just as easily adjustable. Just flip the foot pegs up and they can slide all the way forward, as if in a Harleys feet forward riding position, or you can slide them rearwards to the point thats similar to sitting on a Versys or Bonneville with your feet underneath you. Or, you place them anywhere in between, just flip the foot peg back down and they lock in place.

So basically anyone short or tall can adjust the fit and comfort to their specific liking. After some wheeling & dealing, I brought home this Can-Am Ryker Rally Edition last Thursday and I've been having a blast with it ever since. This thing is a true joy to ride, and the fun factor is way up there on the factor scale. The riding experience is very different than a two wheeler and there is a learning curve so to speak. I've been riding it everyday and cant seem to stay off of it. The more saddle time you get, the better you and it gets.

Its a 900cc in-line triple and its shaft drive. The Electronic Vehicle Stability System links the ABS, traction Control, and Stability Control helping it stay planted and sure footed in curves and rough riding conditions. It basically helps keep all three wheels planted if you're really pushing it. This will be very helpful for beginner riders which is why they developed it. They're trying to attract a younger demographic (which I am not one of).

The VSS can be partially or completely turned off such as turning off traction control by selecting a different riding mode. It has four riding modes and performs best in Rally and in Sport modes. The third mode is called Echo Mode where the computer will not let you do any type of wild or crazy hooligan type of riding. It controls it with the electronic linked VSS system. It also achieves the best fuel mileage in this mode. So all in all, its totally different than any of my two wheelers, but thats probably one of the things that makes it so enjoyable right now, its different.

I do have a storage problem though, I have three other bikes and I'm probably going to have to get rid of one, just to make some space for this thing, its 5' wide in the front and takes up a lot of space.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Congratulations!

It is definitely "out there" in the alien bug looks department. LOL!

is it more like an ATV / Snowmobile than a motorcycle? Throttle uses a thumb button instead of twisting the throttle?

Is the seat lower than the other model Can Ams? Looks low.

No foot brake? No shifting?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks TWA,
Some have described it as like a snowmobile with wheels made for the street. Being from Florida and never riding in the snow, I've never ridden a snowmobile so I really wouldn't know. It has the traditional twist throttle like a bike, but its wireless so no cable. There is also no clutch or handbrake on the handlebar, its a CVT transmission (automatic). Just twist and go. Thats part of getting use to it, the first time I went to apply the brakes, I am use to using the front brake on the handlebar, so there was a momentary what the hell moment and a slight delay to remembering that its down by my right foot.

There's only one brake and its the pedal at the right foot just like on a bike. But, that brake pedal controls all the brakes at all three wheels at one time. Its VSS controlled. The Electronic Vehicle Stability System controls the brakes when you press the brake pedal, it will apply it to all three wheels, and or which ever wheel or wheels needs the most brake to keep you braking in a straight line. The brake system is phenomenal and it will stop you in a straight line and on a dime. It also controls the traction Control, and Stability Control at the same time.

The seat is a low 24" from the pavement, thats one of the things that I think contributes to it being a fun ride. Because you're so low, so is the center of gravity, so in a curve it tracks like its on rails. The Ryker Rally Edition has an upgraded fully adjustable suspension compared to the other two models. It also has 1" more ground clearance and has upgraded reinforced rims. It comes with a few other things like hand guards, larger rear wheel and a few other things.

The VSS can be partially or completely turned off by selecting a different riding mode. It has four riding modes to select from and performs best in Rally and in Sport modes. The third mode is called Echo Mode where the computer will not let you do any type of wild or crazy hooligan type of riding. It controls it with the electronic linked VSS system. It also achieves the best fuel mileage in this mode.

As far as steering, its very very sensitive with any input you give it, the higher the speed, the more sensitive it is. I took it on the interstate to see how it handles at high speed, but I still had the suspension setup stiff for smooth curvy roads. The problem with that was that every time I hit one of the overpass expansion joints at 85 mph, the bike would jump and get a little jittery at the steering. The first time I hit one it kind of startled me, after that I was ready for the next ones. I came home and lightened up the suspension and took it on the interstate again and it was a total different animal and handled well.

Comes in three models, the 600cc at $8888, the 900 Ace at $9999 and the Rally Edition at $11,500, in my opinion, they're a great price for what you get and a lot less expensive than its brother the Spyder.
I think I negotiated a great deal on the Rally Edition, I got it for $12,500 out the door, and I got them to include almost $1000 in accessories. The free accessories that I got was the adjustable windscreen, the Max Rack, the LinQ quick release plate & the LinQ quick release sport top case. So it worked out to me getting the 2020 Rally Edition for slightly less the the 900 Ace, plus I got the accessories. Here's a one minute video explaining the difference between the 900 Ace and the 900 Rally Edition.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, but turn off traction control using either sport or rally modes and it will do some pretty lengthy burnouts. But, if I wanted to do wheelies, I'd use my Griso 1200 for that.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
No, but turn off traction control using either sport or rally modes and it will do some pretty lengthy burnouts. But, if I wanted to do wheelies, I'd use my Griso 1200 for that.
Speaking of the Griso, we are doing a Guzzi campout at Fall Creek Falls State Park in TN the last weekend in September. Great curvy roads in the area and if you haven't been there, the falls are huge and amazing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never been to the Falls Creek area, but I know its a beautiful area to ride. I usually rent a cabin once a year for about a week just across the TN/NC state line near Robbinsville NC. I've ridden the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains Tn several times, then usually headed north to the Sevierville Piegon Forge area, then on to Bryson City NC and back to Robbinsville. If you live in that area you're a lucky man.

That whole region is motorcycle haven, I've been going up there every year for the last 12 years and I still find new beautiful scenic curvy roads to ride. I usually head up there the 3rd or 4th week of October, usually nice mild weather, and most of the leaf lookers are gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts