Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the scrambler treatment by Lord Drake Kustoms. I hope they don't mind me posting a photo from their site.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Motorcycle

· Super Moderator
22,240 Posts
I TRIED to buy a KR750 flat-tracker from a KAWI dealer in Red Deer, AB about 15 years ago.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember seeing a KR racer at Rocky's in London when it was on Wharncliffe Road. The original store was an old house with a rear dirt-sloped entrance to the basement workshop. It had an oily hardwood floored"showroom" the size of an average dining room. Lloyd Laidlaw, a noted Harley drag racer, was the mechanic. He rode his dresser to Daytona most years. Hardcore.

Harleys were a minor part of the business then. They sold Hondas- the first I'd seen- plus BSA and Vespas.

That building was replaced with the brick one shown in the London Free Press link to a history of the business. Rocky is in the centre, and Lloyd (wearing glasses) is beside Rocky to the right of the door. Lloyd later went into a bicycle business, To Wheels with George Homes.

Yes, I'm old and remember those days. This completes the history lesson for today. Having hijacked my own thread, I'll slide back under my keyboard and pull a blanket over it.

Attached is a photo of Rocky that I restored in the 90s. His mother is on the porch in the background. Note the studded initials on the kidney belt, the gauntlets, the cap and a smoke. Height of cool in those days. I think his bike is a WR.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Super Moderator
22,240 Posts

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flip flops, short pants, no gloves. But a full-face helmet to leave a good-looking corpse. Squid fashion.

Also favoured by 'bikers' - substitute a $50 piss pot helmet with a fake approval sticker, and don't forget to wear the sweat-stained wife beater.
People that make this world such an interesting place to live in! Train spotting for a motorcyclist.

· Registered
6,096 Posts
I've seen idiots wearing flip flops before
I resemble that remark. They were sandals though. Look like flip flops without the flip flopping.

Daytona Beach. 25 mph roads leading to the beach, ride on the beach. Thong sandals, swim shorts, beanie helmet (required) sunglasses.

It was a different time. Rode as if my life depended on staying on two wheels.

· Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
212 Posts
Flip flops, short pants, no gloves. But a full-face helmet to leave a good-looking corpse. Squid fashion.

Also favoured by 'bikers' - substitute a $50 piss pot helmet with a fake approval sticker, and don't forget to wear the sweat-stained wife beater.
People that make this world such an interesting place to live in! Train spotting for a motorcyclist.
Well you've just described me every time I ride on a day that's >80° outside...except no helmet, stickered or otherwise. I never wear gloves if it's warm enough not to, love wearing a muscle-tee when I ride, frequently wear shorts, and a pair of proper "riding sandals". I'll tell you what I've told every narcissist safety Nazi...if safety is your primary concern, get off two wheels altogether and into a Volvo. Once we, as a community, begin the infighting, the WEF will see us as ripe for new legislation, probably banning bikes altogether. Ride your own ride and decide FOR YOURSELF what level of risk you're willing to take to enjoy biker life.

· Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
832 Posts
Well you've just described me every time I ride on a day that's >80° outside...except no helmet, stickered or otherwise. I never wear gloves if it's warm enough not to, love wearing a muscle-tee when I ride, frequently wear shorts, and a pair of proper "riding sandals". I'll tell you what I've told every narcissist safety Nazi...if safety is your primary concern, get off two wheels altogether and into a Volvo. Once we, as a community, begin the infighting, the WEF will see us as ripe for new legislation, probably banning bikes altogether. Ride your own ride and decide FOR YOURSELF what level of risk you're willing to take to enjoy biker life.
Yep, that's what makes us ALL individuals, with exception to the "classic die hard Harley riders"

· Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
212 Posts
Yep, that's what makes us ALL individuals, with exception to the "classic die hard Harley riders"
I'd hardly refer to most of them as "riders"...I have one particular Harley customer with five bikes who barely puts 200 miles total per year on them. I've found two extremes with Harley owners, about 90% of them put <500 miles on per year, and the other 10% ride the wheels off theirs. But, hey, if you've got $20k-30k to spend on a bar hopper....'Merica!

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll tell you what I've told every narcissist safety Nazi...if safety is your primary concern, get off two wheels altogether and into a Volvo. .
If you have to resort to insults then you have a very weak argument. And don't tell me what to ride or drive.

· Super Moderator
22,240 Posts
I would at least wear gloves in case you slide along a road on the palms of your hands.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts