Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a mate of mine who has an F650 said to me, "Repent, brother. Return to the fold."

Well, he didn't quite say it like that, but it was more or less what he meant.

And therefore, here I am, 13 years and 35kilos heavier with a bike again.

Used to ride an '88 KLR650. Used to say that a tarred road is just one of the options for a ride.

Now, I'm saying, "This default Dunlop Sportmax wot comes with the Versys is pretty rubbish, hey."

Anyway, hi guys. From Malaysia. Still trying to figure out what's what. :D

·
Premium Member
16,198 Posts
:welcome: Yea the stock tires are pure garbage especially in the wet stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome.

Initially, I couldn't decide what the actual problem was, me or the rubber. Some googling around has made me feel that the rubber should probably shoulder most of the blame.

First time I felt it a bit dodgy was when I was exiting a turn at what could not have been more than 70km/h and felt the rear skipping out on me. The road was dry, if a little bumpy. But still.

Have ridden in the wet just the once. It was mildly unpleasant. However, on that score am still trying to determine whether the problem lies between the handlebars and seat or much lower. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Welcome, have ridden a versys in Malaysia which a member from this forum lent to me for weekend ride ( he lives in Ipoh) and I think he had BT 023's on it, I run BT 023's on my versys and ninja 1000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Those BT 023's sound good. So does the Pirelli Angel ST. But I'm just about finishing the breaking in. :D Might be a little bit too keen on my part if I change the rubber before then.

And feels like a bit of a waste too.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I suffered my stock Dunlops through my first 5000 miles then went to Michelin PR3 just before a long (5600 mile) excursion. What a difference!!!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Welcome...back.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I too suffered through the stock tires for about 5000 miles. Aside from general lack of confidence inspiration wet or dry I found the front tire's center seam the worst part. I found it sucked the front wheel inti any grooves that I might encounter. Sometimes a bit unnervingly. My switch to Michelin pilot road 2s is one of my best moves with the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man ... I'm starting to think I should just get on with it and change the tyres toot sweet ...

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
The dunslips are okay as long as you back off in the rain, would be concerned being out in your heavy rain conditions going around corners but if you ride to conditions the dunlops are fine but do not push em, found the 023's worked great in heavy rain in Malaysia.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts