Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Pretty cool- Lucasoil provides links to pdfs of the data sheets for their products. Turns out they're not really the same. Invader's suggestion is comprised of:

Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic Distillate 90%
Additive 10%
Mixed

Whereas the one I picked up is made of:

Distillates, Petroleum, hydrotreated light 40-50%

Anyone with a better understanding of petrochemicals want to chime in on the difference?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You got Lucas Deep Clean Fuel System (and combustion chamber) CLEANER. One 5.25oz bottle treats 15 US gallons, and is to be used only every 3000-4000 miles... Throw it in your old car or truck.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products_overviews.sd?iid=5&catid=6

I've been using Lucas Fuel Treatment which can be added to every tankfull (2oz/10 US gal)... When I run out, I will switch to TC-W3 2-stroke marine oil.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-TC-W3-Outboard-Oil-16-fl-oz/16913695

·
Registered
400 Posts
So I decided to dump some in the Versys after a tank full on new spark plugs.

Idle is noticeably smoother, as in higher rpms. Even the vibes went down a bit I think! I lost some performance this tank, think I added 1.3-1.4oz. It is a bit too rich.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well I was in O'Reilly's Auto Parts Saturday and they had the Lucas Oil Treatment on sale.. buy 2 get 1 free so I picked up 3 of them.

I took the bottles home and measured 1 oz. and used a red marker to mark 1 oz increments on the bottles. Now I just fill up on the way home and have a convenient way of measuring out the 1 oz to add to the fuel tank.

I'm now good for 15 fill-ups which should take me through spring of next year. :)

·
Premium Member
16,325 Posts
Well I was in O'Reilly's Auto Parts Saturday and they had the Lucas Oil Treatment on sale.. buy 2 get 1 free so I picked up 3 of them.

I took the bottles home and measured 1 oz. and used a red marker to mark 1 oz increments on the bottles. Now I just fill up on the way home and have a convenient way of measuring out the 1 oz to add to the fuel tank.

I'm now good for 15 fill-ups which should take me through spring of next year. :)
Always when i tried to measure out of the bottle it always made a mess when pouring. So i would estimate a good shot in the bike at home and dump the rest in the car tank then ride to the gas station and fill up. Maybe i'll give it another try.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Just tried the lucasoil treatment yesterday for the first. Must say- I'm impressed. The bike feels better- happier. Less vibey, more pull. Interestingly it seems my decel pops have reduced both in frequency and tone. Is that possible? Overall very pleased so far by the results. Looking forward to better mpg too.

:thumb:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Topped 50.2mpg on the freeway yesterday. Usually get about 47ish max. My darn measuring tool was off, I think I was adding 1.2-1.3oz instead of 1oz... So the first few fuel ups were a bit "rich" Up until now the only thing that was really affected was the idle being smoother. Now I am seeing a good 2-3mpg jump consistently.

With the additive now going on a few weeks and a 7ish tanks of gas. Idle is noticeably smoother, as well as it feeling less buzzy at highway speeds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So after reading all the experiences using this stuff I decided to try it out on a great test mule. I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire thats been sitting for a while and barely gets driven, has about 135k on it and pretty poor maintenance in general. Has a rough idle and slight surging and such at a constant RPM. Added some tcw3 at the 1oz/5gal ratio and have put about 100miles on it and the rough idle has almost disappeared and smoother running throughout RPM and constant RPM. I will continue to use with next fill-up and see how things go. I will also use it on the bike as ive been getting around 47-48mpg consistantly and will see if that goes up at all. Also have a 2000 Insight that runs a little rough that I will add it to and see what kind of improvements I see. Let ya know!

·
Super Moderator
20,744 Posts
Leaving home last Wednesday on my recent 1,621 mile ride, I stopped at an O'Reillys and bought a quart bottle of the Lucas stuff, then used it in ALL my fill-ups on the ride.

Don't know whether it's smoother, but I DID get an average of 52.17 mpgUS, and that included a LOT of 75+ mph riding.:thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
So after my car experiment I decided to squirt an Oz in a full tank on the V. Well, at the end of the tank I can say this, it seems that low rpm surging is a lot less and I got 50mpg compared to my normal 47. (and this tank I went on a couple "spirited" rides, so i just filled up and will try and run a tank with normal driving and see what happens)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Out of curiosity I looked up Chevron's Techron Plus, which is heavily promoted as well:
Distillates, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 40 - 70 %weight
Stoddard solvent 8052-41-3 15 - 40 %weight
Solvent naphtha (petroleum), light aromatic 64742-95-6 5 - 10 %weight
Benzene, 1,2,4-trimethyl- 95-63-6 1 - 5 %weight

Data sheet at: https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/MSDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=283264

What it tells me is there's no magic secret sauce to these...no magic ceramic/teflon coating suspended in dragon blood. But apparently something about it works.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts