Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this past weekend I thought I would take a ride up to Crown King, a small town in the mountains of AZ that can only be reached by dirt roads. A friend of mine told me that the road was decent and should be perfectly fine on my motorcycle. There are two ways into this town, the main way from the highway which most people take, and a back way which I thought my friend had taken since she had an off-road vehicle. With a little research I headed out to what was listed as a "Moderate Trail" on a popular trails site.

Starting out the road was just like any other fire road, some washboard areas, then the trail became tighter, the sand became deeper....then there were more rocks... then there were a lot more rocks... and then the rocks got larger.

I was halfway there and still had a ways to go. I couldn't turn back because I knew I couldn't get back down the same road that I came given how much loose rock there was, so the only way to go was forward. I made it into Crown King just after sunset, so I couldn't get a whole lot of pics of the trail and scenery. Great sunset riding into town though!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The ride was so much worse than I anticipated and I ended up riding home on the easy road to the highway in the dark. An estimated 4.5 hour ride turned into an 8.5 hour ride, and it was the most challenging ride I've done yet. I miraculously only managed to drop the bike twice, but I survived the ride. Also learned something about the importance of boots: no one ever mentions the protection it provides from bumping on your own bike. I woke up two days later with the bruises starting to form up, and my leg looks a lot more beat up now. Needless to say I don't think I can ever trust a "moderate" trail rating again and will look forward to many "easy" rides on the X300 from now on. Good to know that it really can take on a whole lot!!

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
I rode to Crown King w/ a friend out of Jerome, back in March of 2016. I guess we took the 'easy' way, because it did NOT take nearly as long as your ride.

P3144121 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P3144123 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P3144126 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P3144128 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P3144130 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P3144134 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P3144135 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P3144140 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P3144143 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

We rode out of there to the N, heading thru Prescott.

P3144144 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P3144149 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P3144151 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

The worst part (as I remember...) was just before this part - no pics of the BAD part, 'cause I didn't want to stop!

P3144152 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
So that's what it looks like during the day! That looks waaaaay more tame than the way I took!
That WAS during the day - when you finally meet me - look at me and ask IF I look dumb enough to ride AFTER DARK, ANYWHERE, much less terrain like THAT!

;)

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts