Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

New guy around here and to dual sport bikes...and i have a lot of questions...currently i'm trying to sell my gixxer to buy a 2015 Versys 1000...the problem is the bike is the grand tourer is very expensive new...so i'm looking in Italy for one used...if i find a reasonable GT i will try to buy it but if i don't i will have to buy a stock one and start mounting all the stuff i need...so here are the questions...

1. What wind shield do you guys recommend...i'm 1.83m tall (6 feet), will the stock one be enough?
2. I like the OEM fog lights but they cost 500$, so no...what is a good alternative to the OEM ones? do i have to splice wires or they go plug and play?
3. The OEM power outlet seamed to be at a reasonable price and might go with that..but are there any other plug and play options?
4. I like the gear indicator a lot..but a bit pricey...any options on this department? must fit like oem one and plug and play. I don't want to do any modifications to the bike.
5. A good pair of hand guards? i like the edgy style of the oem ones...are there any similar?
6. What crash bars do you use?
7. Any options for the under engine metal shield?
8. Are there any side-cases that fit just like the oem ones? i really don't like the metal rack on the side look and wanted ones that fit right on
9. On the back, do i need to purchase a base plate before i can mount any type of top case? recommendations?
10. How is the seat for long rides...can you go 5 hours non stop? or a seat from Corbin is recommended?

Thank you for taking the time to read and maybe help me with these questions.
Have a nice day

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
1. What wind shield do you guys recommend...i'm 1.83m tall (6 feet), will the stock one be enough?
I'm 5'7" and I don't have a problem with it. My wife complains of buffeting though, so I got a taller one from Cal Sci. Puig, Madstad, and V-stream are other popular options. Some taller riders do complain of buffeting at higher speeds.

2. I like the OEM fog lights but they cost 500$, so no...what is a good alternative to the OEM ones? do i have to splice wires or they go plug and play?
I don't have them. I think weljo did this one cheap. In any case, there are certainly more affordable ways of doing that. May require buying some splicing connectors or a soldering iron though.

3. The OEM power outlet seamed to be at a reasonable price and might go with that..but are there any other plug and play options?
I use Gerbing heated gear outlets. I spliced one on my GPS and my Battery Tender, so everything can fit anywhere.

4. I like the gear indicator a lot..but a bit pricey...any options on this department? must fit like oem one and plug and play. I don't want to do any modifications to the bike.
It's got a perfectly good tach. Don't need a gear indicator.

5. A good pair of hand guards? i like the edgy style of the oem ones...are there any similar?
The OEM are find for street use and the bike really isn't meant for off roading...though like everything, some do.

Speedy's highway pegs. They also work well for highway jaunts. :wink2:

Sounds like you're really itching for a Honda Africa twin.

8. Are there any side-cases that fit just like the oem ones? i really don't like the metal rack on the side look and wanted ones that fit right on
Not seen that. I think Shad makes some, but require their brackets.

9. On the back, do i need to purchase a base plate before i can mount any type of top case? recommendations?
Kaw makes a pricey top case that probably fits right on. I have a Shad and it required their rack bolted on Kaw's rack.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hello,

Ash, welcome aboard! I have a 2015 V650 so I can't answer all your questions.

1)I have a Madstad brand windshield. It is much better on the highway than the factory standard windshield. I had turbulence on my helmet from the factory windshield, but the Madstad has none. I would suggest trying the factory windshield first to see if it works ok for you. Madstad has a chart on their website which shows which height windshield they suggest for the height of the rider. Mine works fine, so I would suggest you follow their suggestion if you buy one of their windshields.

6) Crash bars for the 650 may not, probably don't fit the V1000. But I suggest you look for bars which protect the lower engine areas. Most of the V650 crash bars are not much more than frame sliders which protect the plastic fairings but not the engine case itself. If you go off pavement at all then I think you really need the lower protection.

Consider replacing the front turn signals with micro sized units. On the V650 the front turn signals hit the ground when the bike tips over, breaking the expensive plastic fairing. I installed R&G Racing LED micro lights, and they do not hit the ground in a fall. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/11-modifications-cosmetic/102753-added-radiator-guard-front-axle-sliders-r-g-micro-turn-signals.html

8) Factory bags. Love them, hate them. First off, I am not aware of any aftermarket bags which plug right into the factory mount system. If there were, I would probably get those rather than the factory bags.

Good things about factory bags: The mount is very easy, fast, and secure. They are keyed to your ignition key, so you only need one key for everything. They have a good amount of volume.

Bad things about factory bags: The shape is terrible for carrying many objects. The bags are not at all rectangular, so things like a brief case, small suit case, laptop, frozen pizza, etc don't fit. Look carefully at what things you will carry in the bags and be sure they will fit the factory bag shape.

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
I used the Zeta XC handguards on both my '08 and '09 650s. They look edgy, and work well - I low-sided at 20 to 30 mph and just scratched the end a bit. Here's a pic - you can see the scratches under the refective tape I used to cover the damage PLUS add more visibility.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you are adding more than one accessory I recommend a FuzeBlock.

You run a wire to each of the positive and negative and tap into something that is only alive when the ignition is on (I recommend the low beam headlight as that is only active when the engine is running).

You can then wire up to 6 circuits of 10 amps each. You choose if it is an 'always on" or 'ignition only' by where you place each fuze.

I run the following through my FuzeBlock which is under my left fairing:
  • battery tender (always on)
  • 12v outlet (switched)
  • USB outlet (always on as it has its own switch)
  • heated grips (switched)
  • driving lights (switched)
  • heated gloves (switched)

For a 12v outlet I recommend a marine grade stainless steel one so that it doesn't rust.

I have now seen some 12v & USB combos.

Good luck

Alan

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
Put a PCS-1 Racing Filter on.(Re-Usable) Have had this same filter on 3 bikes now over the last 6.5 years. It fitted my 09 V-650, 07 FJR and the 2016 V-1000

First Oil Change 600 miles by weljo2001, on Flickr

Admore Light Bar....

Admore Light Bar by weljo2001, on Flickr

Givi Rear Rack & Givi E-55 TopCase....

Givi Rack by weljo2001, on Flickr

Givi E-55 Topcase by weljo2001, on Flickr

Garmin Zumo 550 Cradle attached by Ram Mount to Ram Mount Ball replacing a handle bar bolt.....

Electrical by weljo2001, on Flickr

T-Rex Racing Sliders...

T-Rex Sliders & Gremlin Bell by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are adding more than one accessory I recommend a FuzeBlock.

You run a wire to each of the positive and negative and tap into something that is only alive when the ignition is on (I recommend the low beam headlight as that is only active when the engine is running).

You can then wire up to 6 circuits of 10 amps each. You choose if it is an 'always on" or 'ignition only' by where you place each fuze.

I run the following through my FuzeBlock which is under my left fairing:

• battery tender (always on)
    12v outlet (switched)
    USB outlet (always on as it has its own switch)
    heated grips (switched)
    driving lights (switched)
    heated gloves (switched)

For a 12v outlet I recommend a marine grade stainless steel one so that it doesn't rust.

I have now seen some 12v & USB combos.

Good luck

Alan
Roger that, thank you sir.

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put a PCS-1 Racing Filter on.(Re-Usable) Have had this same filter on 3 bikes now over the last 6.5 years. It fitted my 09 V-650, 07 FJR and the 2016 V-1000

First Oil Change 600 miles by weljo2001, on Flickr

Admore Light Bar....

Admore Light Bar by weljo2001, on Flickr

Givi Rear Rack & Givi E-55 TopCase....

Givi Rack by weljo2001, on Flickr

Givi E-55 Topcase by weljo2001, on Flickr

Garmin Zumo 550 Cradle attached by Ram Mount to Ram Mount Ball replacing a handle bar bolt.....

Electrical by weljo2001, on Flickr

T-Rex Racing Sliders...

Is the top case big enough for 2 helmets?

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts

For most helmets Yes. For 2 XL Nolan N-104 Modular Helmets No they are big and bulky.

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts

They will hold 4 pies boxed separately easily......:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I would suggest riding the bike for a while before deciding on an aftermarket shield, it will give you a better idea what you want.

Here is what I installed.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/10-modifications-performance/114849-led-auxiliary-lighting.html

It cost less than $100. I spliced them to the high beam wires using some solder. You can add a cheap $5 relay if you want to power them direct from the battery but this is not necessary for LED lights. I also purchased a Versys specific aftermarket light mount. Ideally it is also a good idea to purchase cheap automotive type connectors so you can unplug and remove them when removing the fairing for maintenance. There is no plug and play option but members such as myself can offer help in what to wire.

USB and 12V sockets for motorcycles are a dime a dozen and very cheap on eBay ($10). Bikemaster brand ($20) is OEM quality and available at most dealers. These screw in a hole sp will fit just as well as OEM. Chances are you will find a USB socket more useful than a 12 socket.

SW-Motech are the highest quality offering.

Many Givi top cases come with a base plate. They are specific to the top case model you purchase.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I would suggest riding the bike for a while before deciding on an aftermarket shield, it will give you a better idea what you want.

Here is what I installed.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/10-modifications-performance/114849-led-auxiliary-lighting.html

It cost less than $100. I spliced them to the high beam wires using some solder. You can add a cheap $5 relay if you want to power them direct from the battery but this is not necessary for LED lights. I also purchased a Versys specific aftermarket light mount. Ideally it is also a good idea to purchase cheap automotive type connectors so you can unplug and remove them when removing the fairing for maintenance. There is no plug and play option but members such as myself can offer help in what to wire.

USB and 12V sockets for motorcycles are a dime a dozen and very cheap on eBay ($10). Bikemaster brand ($20) is OEM quality and available at most dealers. These screw in a hole sp will fit just as well as OEM. Chances are you will find a USB socket more useful than a 12 socket.

SW-Motech are the highest quality offering.

Many Givi top cases come with a base plate. They are specific to the top case model you purchase.

jesus those fog lamps are bright :))) and long range..you can see pass the border with those :)) thank you for the info...much appreciated :D

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
I have a large shoei nxr and a hjc is-17.?

Have had 2 other xl helmets n the top case the Nolan N-104's are just real big

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm 6-1 and have no problems with the stock screen at the highest setting.

There are many after market set ups you can use.

Get the one made for the vulcan it's $50 bucks cheaper.

Just use the tach..

I find the stock one work well, no need to spend money to upgrade what already works well

None, frame sliders. I don't think of the V1K as an off road bike, to me it's a sport touring machine.

I do not use one.

No, to use any other cases is going to require racks installed.

Yes, you need the mounting plate, the kawi top case is a Givi, and the cost the kawi case plus base plate is about the same as the Givi. I purchased the kawi set.

. How is the seat for long rides...can you go 5 hours non stop? or a seat from Corbin is recommended?
I ride the tank dry, the seat is comfortable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts