Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all- Getting ready to install some new led accesory lights I just picked up. I purchased a wiring harness which comes with a crap switch. I also picked up a more handlebar friendly switch to replace the original one. I'm pretty clear on how the whole setup goes save for one thing. The included crappy switch has 3 wires (white, black, red):

But my replacement sorta crappy one only has 2 (black and green). Have I simply bought the wrong kind of replacement switch (thinking it's a kill switch) or...?

Feedback appreciated :thumb:

·
Registered
383 Posts
First is the "replacement" switch a toggle/rocker or push button. If it is push button it only makes connection or breaks connection when pushed.

The other 3 wire button looks like it has a control board in housing. (led gave it away) so that button needs power to it to work (black, red) then when active sends power out the white wire.

You can make a normal switch work by supplying red wire to white. This is just me guessing. I would need to see product sheet be absolutely sure.

·
Registered
612 Posts
the third wire on the original harness is only to turn on the LED when in the on position so you know that it is on. I just added some LED lights and I also bought a better switch which is also illuminated. All you have to do is use the two 12 volt wires from the harness. Usually they use red for the + and black for the - but you would have to check with a meter. If that is the case, just ignore the white one.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys. I wound up ordering a better waterproof switch for my purposes which is lighted and uses 3 wires. Will update when project is underway! :thanx:
That's what I did too. I like to know if the lights are on even though I wired them through a switched relay.
here is the switch just below the display

and here are the lights

1 - 5 of 5 Posts